cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only getting 3.5mbps

diamond7
Dabbler

only getting 3.5mbps

Hi im only getting 3.5 mbps average even when connected directly to master/test socket with ethernet. at this point i think it might be old exterior wiring or distance from the main unit. i am not in a rural area though. is there anything i can do about this or is it just the best im going to get on this line. will upgrading to fibre change this? 

17 REPLIES 17
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: only getting 3.5mbps

First thing to do is to use the DSL checker to see what's available for your line.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Post an image of the results (making sure your phone number isn't shown).

Brian

diamond7
Dabbler

a1.png

Hi thanks for the response.. above is the result

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It would appear upgrading to fibre would indeed give much better speeds.

The "A" is for a good quality line and the "B" is for an impacted line. So worst case result is you should get between 35 and 57.1 down. The good case is between 49 & 69.2

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@diamond7 wrote:

I'm only getting 3.5 mbps average ... i am not in a rural area though ... is there anything I can do about this

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  The real answer to this is it all depends on what the problem is.  The DSL checker estimates the speed as 3mbps, but could be up to 6+mbps.

BT Wholesale (BTw) given themselves lots of wriggle room - don't promise too much - keep the figures low so there's less room for complaint ... but that does not mean that the line could not do better, just that you might have difficulty getting help.  The first thing though is to "baseline" what's happening at the moment...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diamond7
Dabbler

Hi thanks .. I have tried the quiet test and thats fine. i have opened a question on my account and i am going to plug direct to my master socket for 3 days while my line is adjusted. if there is no change then ive been told an engineer will have to come and have a look.  regards 

diamond7
Dabbler

ok my current speed on my  PN account is 3.8mbps.. It does seem as if an upgrade to fibre would be the best bet, though i was just curious if i could boost the current speed, though it does work ok for most things currently.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Router stats would be very helpfull...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

diamond7
Dabbler

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:  
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:08:53
7 - Data rate: 704/4672
8 - Maximum data rate: 812/4348
9 - Noise margin: 11.0/6.0
10 - Line attenuation: 25.0/43.5
12 - Data sent/received: 1.6M/16.5M
20 - Broadband username: username@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-FJ78QK
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 300 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: 11
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 90:72:82:c7:35:6f
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.2

Hi here is the details.. it looks like a line stabilization will be done in the next few days according to the message i recieved in account..

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Username and serial number removed from a public forum.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The DS SYNCH speed is way less than that which might be expected for a line of the reported attenuation at a SNRM of 6dB.  6.5dB might be more reasonable.

The current synch rate is more than the reported maximum - that seems odd!

What is this "stabilisation" to be done in the next few days you have referred to?  Something Plusnet have said - if yes what were the exact words please?

@ejs - have you any thoughts here please?

diamond7
Dabbler

this was the msg

''Once your equipment is connected in the optimum position the exchange will begin to restabilize your line and will over the course of a 3 days increase the speed if the stability has improved. If possible certainly if you have an old router (more than 2 years) I would recommend trying a different router also.
         ...then get back to us to let us know there is still a problem and we will continue diagnostics and get back to you.
      It is more than likely that if you are at this stage and the service is not working correctly then an engineer will be required to visit the property which we will arrange with you''

many thanks for the quick replys

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thatcalm seems diffetent to expectations. A full ADSL reset has a 10 training period. A SNRM reset has no training no period. A FTTC reset has a two day open profile.

@Gandalf, can you offer any insight to what’s been done / said here please?

diamond7
Dabbler

So ive been told by tech that theres nothing wrong with my line and its performing in the speed range so i guess fibre is the only way to get better speed should i need it. thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf - is there room for review here please?

My line has an attenuation of 50dB and does way better than this. Is there something which has been overlooked please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Apologies for the delay.

I'm taking a look into this now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet