cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not sure what else to do

Br0wn
Dabbler

not sure what else to do

we keep getting disconnected when trying to stay logged into second life (virtual world) changed to unlimited broadband a while ago now it was better but last few days it has been up and down which leads to being disconnected. Now we have tried all things we can think off unplugging the router, restarting the router, resetting the router, checking the phone line, re booting the pc none have worked well.
I notice there is some
Planned BT Broadband Network Maintenance - Week commencing 3rd August 2015
01/08/2015 @ 14:29
When is this work happening?
Overnight throughout the week.
What does it affect?
Broadband connectivity.
How long will it take?
Up to six hours each time.
What does the work involve?
We've received notifications from our suppliers about maintenance work that is scheduled to take place in the following areas this week. This work typically takes place between midnight and 6am.
3rd August
Bracknell, Gloucester, Ipswich, Milton Keynes, Herne Bay, Leamington, Newcastle, Colindale, Manchester Chorlton, Ryde, Isle of Wight, Stafford Walton, Locks Heath, Birmingham.
4th August
Kingswood, Bristol, Wilmslow, Manchester, East Manchester, Worthing Central, Faraday, Muswell Hill, Colindale, Bristol West, Cardiff, Great Barr, Birmingham, Dumfries, Newcastle.
5th August
Darlington, Doncaster DON, Irvine Bourtree, Southbank, Belfast Ormeau, Bradwell Abbey, Chipping Sodbury, Christchurch, Edinburgh, Fountainbridge, Hastings.
6th August
Birmingham Kings Norton, Letchworth Herts, Liverpool Widness, London Barking, London Redhill, Manchester Bury, Leamington Spa, London Upton Park, Northampton, Northwich Cheshire.
7th August
Birmingham Wednesbury, Leicester Fox, London Bexley Heath, London Bishopsgate, London Hayes North, Manchester Longford.
Although these are the areas or exchanges we have been notified of, due to the nature of the broadband network these outages may affect customers nationwide. There are also a number of smaller exchange works most nights of the week that may cause smaller outages at individual exchanges.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Yes, there's a chance that you may be disconnected from the internet for a period of time during the maintenance window.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Any customers having problems connecting once the maintenance is complete are advised to log into their router interface and click connect.
Kind regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Relations

is this linked to the issues we have been having lately?
and any tips on how to fix being disconnected while trying to stay logged into a virtual world such as second life?
18 REPLIES 18
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: not sure what else to do

Are your disconnections between midnight and 6am? If not, then no it's very unlikely to be the cause.
The line has dropped a few times:

Are you connected over wired or wireless?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Br0wn
Dabbler

hey Chris
we are connected via wire (ethernet) and we are being disconnected from the virtual world second life and other online games all the time, on and off not 100% sure what time of day so i would say anytime of day and/or night
dick:quote
cedlor
Grafter

I want to say something like "Welcome to the real world"   but will try to be helpful, not that I know anything useful.
Maybe if you had put something relevant in the thread title other gamers would read it?
Not sure why its not in the Gaming forum unless you have a problem with the landline phone and "normal" internet use.
Are you on a static IP  I believe they are not available on all plusnet packages and I thought were more or less
essential for online gaming.   My belief is that if you are on a dynamic IP if  server becomes congested  you can be moved to another server
and reconnected which for normal work may be ok but maybe not for your type of game?
Read the Stickies at the top of the page?  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119921.0.html
Perhaps if you could run "Routerstats" for a while it would give some indication of when the drops were and hence a clue as to what what might cause it.
Do the usual checks for " noise"     I am currently rebuilding an old PC and it and the monitor are plugged into the same
outlet as the freezer -PC is just on test doing nothing and goes into sleep every so often then when the freezer goes on the PC
emits a loud beep and comes out of sleep. Have to fix that before bed LOL  
If the router was in the same socket as the freezer guess I might have a few drops.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@Br0wn
Your line has become banded due to the drops.
I'd recommend working through our troubleshooter here
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Br0wn
Dabbler

@Matthew Wheeler what does banded mean?
Chris
Legend

Banding forces your line to connect between certain speeds which helps provide additional stability.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Br0wn
Dabbler

thank you chris
and cedlor i am pretty new to the forum only posting a few times here i had no idea there was a game forum i just saw help and support and thought this was the right place at the end of the day help and support is what is needed here as we are not sure what is going on with our internet speeds and unlimited broadband etc and it is not just online gaming it feels like dial up when looking at emails and social media sites pictures take some time to come down the pipes and it is just like dial up which is funny first few times but after a while it feels like watching paint dry we have tried the trouble shoot maybe worth another shoot idk it feels like a lost cause sometimes...
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Posting in this forum is correct for the problem you describe. When you go through the faults troubleshooter at the link provided by Matthew, answer the questions as best you can and work through to the end so that a fault report is submitted. That will provide information for the faults team to work on and raise the issue with BT if appropriate..
David
David
Br0wn
Dabbler

thank you spraxyt [David] have worked through thetroubleshooter &  am waiting for them to get back to us
Chris
Legend

I'm just taking a look at this now, there'll be an update on the ticket shortly.
Chris
Legend

The fault report is requesting an engineer, I've updated the ticket so if you can reply with your availability on there we'll get this booked.
Br0wn
Dabbler

thank you Chris we also made a phone call they turned off the banded and speeds are better but internet keeps dropping this evening  Cry
Chris
Legend

I'm slightly concerned with the banding being removed, that should *not* have been done as the line was disconnecting too much for this to have any positive impact.
If you've been through all the testing the faults troubleshooter asked you to do then we really need to get an engineer booked. Can you update the ticket with your availability?
Br0wn
Dabbler

ok answered the ticket hope you can get someone to us Thursday 13th august (tomorrow)