and this online
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
ABERDARE
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 12Mb)  - Checked on 2013-03-14 16:34:30
Current line speed:
5.4 Mb
so as you can see my speed is under the lower limit (only just but thats beside the point) i tried the speed test on plusnet and also i use BBMAX which came up with around the same.
im obviously not getting the speed i should be download wise but it doesnt mention upload speed at all.
i was with sky previously and the download and upload was better. i had 6mb download (checked on bbmax) and upload was 768 approx. my upload now is about half what it was with sky at approx 362 now.
what can be done about this?
I am not happy im out of the range quoted
i understand 7 or 7.5mb is estimated
i understand speeds vary depending on when you check them although in my case theres every little difference any time of day.
im not happy my upload speed has been reduced around 50%
i am using a wired connection to the router
i dont have spyware/malware/viruses etc
i understand about how far from the exchange effects speeds
what i dont understand is why can i get fibre optic which is extremely fast yet the broadband i have is really slow?
26 REPLIES 26
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: not getting the speed i should be

Hi there,
According to line tests I've just run, the line profile of 5444 is appropriate to the synch speed. With that in mind I'm wondering if there's any local factors we can rule out that might be causing an issue.
Does your phone socket have a test socket you can try connecting to? http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If so I'd really like to run another test with the router connected there.

what i dont understand is why can i get fibre optic which is extremely fast yet the broadband i have is really slow?

I'm not one for wanting to assume what might be causing the fault but ADSL broadband relies on an entirely copper line where as FTTC is just copper beween you and the cabinet, so if there are any issues with that they will affect an ADSL connection far more noticeably than fibre.
Let me know whether or not you have a test socket available and I'll do my best to get back on to this ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
totalguy
Grafter

ive tried the test socket made no difference. when i was with sky i tried the test socket several times and they did tests and nothing came back, it was all fine
one of the reasons (amongst a few others) i changed from sky was because they could never find anything, had bt open reach engineer out twice also.
it must be a local problem if anything not much i can do about that Sad
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

ive tried the test socket made no difference

You'd probably not notice one straight away. Can you connect to it anyway as I'd like to run another test with the router connected to the test socket as that can be revealing to us.
it must be a local problem if anything not much i can do about that

I'd not count your chickens just yet until we know more, so let me know when you have the router in the test socket again Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
totalguy
Grafter

done after 20 mins of fiddling and 10 mins trying to get back on the internet  Undecided
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, cheers for that. I'm going to run the test now for you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The synch speed has risen a bit (assuming the router's still in the test socket)
Just wondering what other devices you have connected to your line apart from the router?
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
totalguy
Grafter

dont know what sync speed is?
i know with sky my router would say connected speed but it wasnt the speed i was getting although they tried to convince me it was.
i have the pc im using now, i have my NAS drive which is off i also have my ps3 which is also off.
wireless i have 2 mobile phones a laptop and a kindle all currently not connected at the moment
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Do you have any devices like a Sky box connected to your phone line?
totalguy
Grafter

no only the above
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've placed a modify order on your line that will uncap your upload speed, this will complete tomorrow.
As for you download speed, I'd suggest running through our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net and we'll take a closer look at your line if this still persists.
totalguy
Grafter

I went through the troubleshooter and did everything except try a different router (why im expected to have one i dont know) and book an engineer.  nothing to report from this.
my router has been going down dont know if its line tests or what, last went down today at 12:44 (5 mins ago) asked me to log in to the router.
totalguy
Grafter

attached may help
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'll check over your connection and update you with our findings.
totalguy
Grafter

ok.
im a bit concerned about my upload being capped never had that before why do you do this?