Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise margin

adamsh
Dabbler

noise margin

Hi guys,
My SNR was 6, this put me into the 4500 profile
I was happy with the connection, it served mecwell for what I used it for (gaming and the occasional download)
BY then decided to raise it to 9 this dropped me down to the 3500 profile which I was not happy about. So, I forced the toured to connect at 6 and all was good again.... Back up to 4500.
After 2 days I noticed things where slow (lost over 1mbps on the speed test) it would seem by in all their wisdom have now taken mr SNR up to 14 and again dropped me to what I believe to be the 3000 profile.
To say I am not happy is an understatement, at 6db (4500 profile) I had no noticable issues, sure I was getting errors on the router log, but they were not effecting my day to day usage. My router may have had a loss of signal or 2 but this was early hours of the morning when I was asleep.
Are plusnet able to force my snr to stay at 6-8 as I was more than happy with things when it was
Regards
Adam
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: noise margin

yep they can request that BTw reset your snr traget to 6,9,12,15db depnding on which you want or they see fit as your line being best suited to.
depending on your router you can use the dmt tool to resync with lower snr but wil not keep the taget if you have a resync with out doing it with dmt.
some routers have option to set traget snr and some netgears you can use the unoffical dgteam firmware that enables you to set target snr
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

There will be a reason why your target SNR has been raised, it's an automatic process responding to errors etc.
Equally there's an automatic process (albeit slow) to reduce it, if your line stays stable.
BT are EXTREMELY reluctant to override these automatic processes unless there's VERY GOOD evidence of a major fault that has been fixed.
Your first response, if you aren't happy with the change, is to try to find out what the underlying problem is. Plenty of advice here if you can give some more information. Once it's fixed the Noise Margin should sort itself out.
adamsh
Dabbler

I know there were errors, but to me they were not effecting the quality of the service im paying for.
I do appreciate why they are there, but if someone is happy to live with a few errors and suffer a resync while they are asleep i dont really see what the issue would be.
I had 2 loss of signals in 48 hours, neither happened while I was using the connection
barquerole
Grafter

Quote from: adamsh
I know there were errors, but to me they were not effecting the quality of the service im paying for.
I do appreciate why they are there, but if someone is happy to live with a few errors and suffer a resync while they are asleep i dont really see what the issue would be.
I had 2 loss of signals in 48 hours, neither happened while I was using the connection

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm might be helpful, dependent on which router you use. I am using a Netgear DG 834 PN and I managed to up my profile by 2Mb on a long line, using the DMT Tool which allows you to change your target SNR.