cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no phone and now really slow internet

axlstod
Grafter

no phone and now really slow internet

discovered around 1pm that my phone wasn't working so I took it to a friends and it worked fine, now my internet has slowed to a crawl?? i have tried the test socket with the phone but had no joy.any help would be appreciated.
31 REPLIES 31
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: no phone and now really slow internet

Hi emmasbloke,
I've just tested your line and I've identified a fault external to your property. Our suppliers have given us an estimated repair date of 17/03/2014, by the end of the day.
The repair work could be carried out before this though, if it is, we'll get in touch with you and let you know (we've got a mobile number on your account). It's likely that your broadband speeds have deteriorated as a result of this fault.
I'm sorry I don't come with better news, but it's now in the hands of our suppliers.
axlstod
Grafter

thankyou, spoke to my neighbour and she's informed me that her phone is not working either.
axlstod
Grafter

also updated my mobile number in my plusnet account settings.
axlstod
Grafter

just an update. my neighbour has informed her phone has started to work unfortunately mine still doesn't, also noticed whenever I run a speedtest it tells me my upload is 0. titanfalls out tomorrow, very frustrating.
axlstod
Grafter

ran the bt wholesale test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.39 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.3 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
download speed 2.39
upload speed 0.2
ping latency 78.50
know that there's a line fault related to the phone, but yesterday I unplugged the router several times while testing the phone in different sockets and just wondered if that had messed up my broadband further.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if you post the stats from your router - noise margin, speed and attenuation we may be able to tell
axlstod
Grafter

Upstream
current rate 448
max rate 600
snr margin 8
line attenuation 27
errors 0
downstream
current rate 3296
max rate 3712
snr margin 8.4
line attenuation 28.6
errors 0
normal get speeds of 6-7mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think that the default noise margin may have increased to 9dB but that wouldn't explain the rotten speeds
Best to wait until the fault is fixed and check the stats again
picbits
Rising Star

Often when one of the two wires that comes to your house that carries your phone signal is broken then the internet will still work but the speed will drop significantly and your phone will go dead.
As above - best to hang on until the line fault is repaired then your speed *should* return to normal.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

emmasbloke, our Faults team will continue to monitor Ticket: 82726634 regarding the phone fault. Once this is resolved we should hopefully see the broadband service return to normal. If this doesn't happen then we can raise this with our broadband suppliers.
axlstod
Grafter

thanks for the info, just found it strange that my neighbours phone started working the following day but mines still not working?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our suppliers have located the cause of the fault and they are still working on it at the moment.
Our Faults Team are due to update you very shortly.
axlstod
Grafter

Hi, I am still have trouble with my phoneline and internet.
I posted a reply to the question that was in the member centre on the plusnet site last night but now the link to the questions has disappeared.
I am a bit annoyed to be honest it is now over a week since my phoneline went down, I had an engineer from bt at my house on Monday who after checking in the house and climbing the telephone pole about 100meters away from my house assured me that the fault was not in my house but unfortunately it was a problem that he was not qualified to repair. he told us that we would not need to be in for a return visit and to leave our phone on the window sill so that they could stand at the window and ring our telephone number to check that the line was now working.
I was never given a date for when someone would return but unfortunately they turned up yesterday when we were not in as both myself and my wife work. We received a letter through the door saying that they have cleared a fault on the line but needed in the house because they felt that the problem was still not fully sorted?
In the question section that has now disappeared from the member centre I had received an answer from plusnet saying that the earliest someone will be able to come back to my house is Monday 24/03/2014, I am very upset that someone cannot come back sooner.
We are paying for a service we are not receiving, not to mention that the only thing that seems to have been 'repaired' yesterday is that I now have even slower internet 1mb.
I would really appreciate it if the repair date could be brought forward, thankyou.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm really sorry it's taking so long to clear the fault on your line.
I've taken a look at the fault and the notes provided by the engineer and it appears that an engineer requires access to your telephone socket to check for the location of any further faults with the service. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to be able to bring the appointment date any closer as the appointment you have is when the next available engineer is.
If we could have provided you with an earlier date for an engineer we would certainly have done. We'll continue to work with our suppliers to get this issue resolved as quickly as we can for you.