cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no connection for Christmas

carolineg

no connection for Christmas

My router stopped working last night, and still doesn't work. Nor my phone. If I unplug the router from the splitter, the phone works. Tried ringing support - gave up after 3 x 30 minutes holding sessions.

Went to Argos and bought new router. The DSL doesn't come on. So maybe nothing wrong with original PlusNet router?

I am no techy and now have niece and nephew round tomorrow with no internet to use. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks for your help

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: no connection for Christmas

Did you use a new splitter with the new router?

Just trying to rule out a faulty splitter.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

you can try plugging your router directly into the master socket https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It's either a faulty splitter or a line fault.

The fact that your phone works doesn't mean there isn't a line fault for broadband purposes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@carolineg,

Hi welcome to the forums - sorry to hear of your woes.  Splitter or phone fault - YOU are going to need to determine which before proceeding.  If BT gets called in to look at a "line fault" and it turns out tips be a splitter fault you will end up with a bill for the engineer's visit.

How did you make out with the test at the test socket advice given above?

If you plug a phone direct to the test socket do you get a clear dial tone?

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What knind of socket is the master socket?  See the speed issues thread for help here.

Have you changed any phone wiring?  Plugged a new device onto the phone line (e.g. A Sky box)?

As asked above, did you use the new splitter which came with the new router with the old router?  Did DSL (or sync) light on the new router turn green / steady?  It is possible that the new router sync'd OK but has not got your account details configured so cannot actually connect to PlusNET.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.