cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new user - first time on line

silverfinch
Grafter

new user - first time on line

First time ever on line & finding it a very long learning curve. New lap top, only ever used work related computer and don't know what I am doing. Husband finds it hilarious! Get plusnet phone line on Monday,hope it goes ok. Worried about caller display as I have a mad sister who at the moment, is barred by BT. If I am doing this wrong I am sure you will let me know!
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new user - first time on line

Make sure you have Virus Protection ( many free ones ), and be very wary of responding to any emails that don't address you by name.
Password protect your wi-fi connection.

You will also get a lot of free advice on here.
As a Newbie, just ask away......
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Welcome to the forum, silverfinch.  Smiley
Your post has appeared OK, so you must be doing something right.  Wink
Not sure I understand in what way you're 'worried' about caller display.  Undecided
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
silverfinch
Grafter

Thank you both so much. Worried about caller display in case I don't realise it is the person I had barred in the past ( can recognise the four letter name without glasses on!!) Sorry it took me a while to work out how to respond. Yes I do have virus protection but paid for it in the shop andnInhave a passwork on my computer but don't know if my wifi is protected or not. Huh
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Ah, I think I see what you mean.
At present, your line rental is paid to BT, and  they are blocking calls from your sister - is that right?
A friend of mine was in a similar position a couple of years ago, and when I enquired, Plusnet said that they could provide the same service, even though it's not advertised as a feature.
Hopefully that is still true today. One of the Digital Care Team will be able to answer that on Monday - they don't usually frequent the forums at the weekend.
There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people around these parts, and someone who knows more about Wi-Fi security will be able to advise on that aspect.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
silverfinch
Grafter

Thats very good to know. Sorry about delay, forgot how I replied last time, think I logged myself out. Yes you are right I was paying to have that number blocked & I did try unblocking after 9 months and the first call through was,yes you've got it, the sister. Sure it can be sorted. It is good to have other forms of communitcation at a reasonable price and people much smarter than me to ask questions about general things. Hope answers don't get too 'techie' for me getting too old for that!! Grin
thomasjc1
Grafter

just to let you know for the future never pay for antivirus just get the free versions off the net avira and avast are good.what anti virus did you buy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leave your router switched on, you may have picked this up when receiving welcome pack etc.
It does a learning process for the first 10 days, when you may notice your speeds vary, but it will settle down.
There are many FAQ pages at Plusnet, read as many as you can, usually reachable from your user account pages.
silverfinch
Grafter

We were sold Norton by the shop - Curry's - also sold Knowhow which we cancelled before the firtst payment was due. Turns out it was run by Curry's