cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router suggestions anyone?

oddjob
Dabbler

new router suggestions anyone?

We have four or five computers active at any given time, a mix of XP and W7 O/S.
The main PC (mine) is hard wired to the router. All others are wireless.  I would like that setup to continue.
Running through an oldish Netgear DG834PN router.
Would like to improve security and range as some areas of the building have poor wireless reception.
Any suggestions?
Preferably a router with easy setup as I'm not that technically minded with hardware!  Roll_eyes
Thanks for any tips.
21 REPLIES 21
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: new router suggestions anyone?

Like you I'm not technically minded & I'm delighted with my Asus RT-N56U. It was straightforward to set up & I'm running 2 laptops, a Nexus 7 & a Nexus 10 wirelessly, with my printer & my WD My Book Live wired. I'm using both the 2.4 & 5 Ghz channels with the latter being slightly faster. It's positioned 2 floors & 2 rooms away from where I'm now sitting & there's absolutely no speed drop.
Bright
Grafter

What's your internet connection - ADSL, cable or fibre? ie does it need to include an ADSL modem?
oddjob
Dabbler

@ tijara33 - thanks for that. Will have a look.
@Bright - our current router is described as a "Wireless ADSL Router Peripheral ... with an integral ADSL modem".
tstaddon
Rising Star

Sounds like my setup.
To be honest, it might not turn out very economical to go beyond N150 on the XP machines - USB1, driver issues and CPU limitations might mean you're just limited to what the PCs can do anyway so that's worth checking. Also, if your wifi reception issues are due to walls and the like perhaps you'd be better off with a powerline wi-fi extender.
If you really do need some oomph and your more powerful Win7 PCs are all gigabit/wireless N and all relatively near to where the router sits, I'd be tempted to get the Asus, or failing that perhaps one of these...
http://buffalotech.com/mobile/wireless-dual-n600.html
If the bottlenecks only affect old XP machines that aren't streaming HD, you could then get a pair of powerline adaptors and set the Netgear up in bridge mode per this how-to:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Because that'll then give you a bunch of 10/100 wired network points as well as a dedicated access point for the older kit - and the Netgear would be connected direct to the Buffalo via the power line so that distance would cease to be an issue. But it all depends on how your property is laid out and what connectivity you need between devices as to whether or not this solution would make sense.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

DGND3700v2 is an excellent router can do both 2.4G and 5.0G wifi band. This router is excellent on a long line attenunation too. And can tweak SNR with routerstats too.
Bright
Grafter

@oddjob
Sorry, must be dozing off this afternoon - I missed the line where you said what your current router is!
As  tstaddon says, powerline would be one option (although a few people have found powerline adapters can cause interference and reduce ADSL/VDSL sync rate - maybe their modulation is transferred through the modem power supply and received as noise...?). If, as you say, you want to stick with wifi for the other PCs then Asus  or Buffalo Nfiniti both have good wifi coverage. The Asus DSL-N55U is the ADSL version. I have the RT-N66U and, like tijara33 can vouch for the excellent wifi coverage (best I've experienced from any router so far).
oddjob
Dabbler

Thank you all. Very much.
Lots to consider, I think.
apjashley1
Grafter

BT Home Hubs are very cheap on eBay right now
oddjob
Dabbler

Quote from: apjashley1
BT Home Hubs are very cheap on eBay right now
Why does this not surprise me?  Wink  Grin
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

BT Home Hub are rubbish. Too cheap and unreliable.
Reason5
Grafter

Hi there been with Plusnet for three months on Fibre and soon realised within a week that the router they give me just was not up to the job....
I searched high and low before spending more money on another router but finally decided on the ASUS RT-N66U  Best thing I ever did

oddjob
Dabbler

That looks like another vote for ASUS kit.
I want to make absolutely sure of one thing.
Bearing in mind we currently use a Netgear DG834PN router described as a "Wireless ADSL Router Peripheral ... with an integral ADSL modem" then the new modem I need to buy is the DSL-N55U not the RT-N66U.
Yes?
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

oddjob,
Yes the DSL-N55U is a combined modem/router for ADSL connections.
I believe your are on an ADSL connection.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
oddjob
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
The DSL-N55U it is then.