cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router + increased and abnormal usage

silver
Grafter

new router + increased and abnormal usage

I replaced my router in July when investigating disconnections. These later turned out to be a problem with the line which was resolved but I have continued using the new router anyway [Technicolor TG582n supplied by PN]
I noticed an increase in usage Jul-Aug but assumed that was just due to the set-up of the router - increase was from usual 2gb a month to about 3gb
Aug-Sept showed my usage increase to 8gb eventhough I had done nothing out of the ordinary.
I logged in to view my usage last night and to my horror this showed I had exceeded my allowance. This, however, was due not just to the overall increase but also to a usage of over 4gb on sat/sun last weekend. This, in just two days (daytime only)  is almost twice what my monthly usage has been in the many years I have been with PN.
I have raised a question over that particular spike in usage and am awaiting a response. However what I would like to know from you experts out there is could the general increase in usage be down to the change of router alone? If not, any ideas?
Thanks
Silv
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: new router + increased and abnormal usage

Hi Silv,
How are things going on other than the increased usage?
The new router is a TG582n if my memory is correct and before that you were using something different?
Have you changed your use in any way?  Have you got an iPhone or iPad or use iTunes?  When these up date, the data volume can be massive - it is best to try to ensure these can only happen between 00 and 08 hours.
Is your wifi securely locked down?  Are you using Ethernet over power adapters which have not been secured?  Have a look at the router home page or network page and look for unexpected connected / listed devices.
Have you used any file down load sites?  Some drag you into a distribution network where you act as a share server... quietly uploading for other people's use hurting your bandwidth allowance.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

silver
Grafter

Hi Kevin
Router has been working fine! No disconnections for a long while.
Usage has changed slightly which is why I logged on to check if it was having an effect. Those changes are a regular Skype call on Sundays (approx 250MB by the look of it) and a once a week Webinar which seems to have little impact. So an increase of about 1-2GB a month would have been fine and well within my allowance taking me to 4-5GB a month.
Do have an iPhone now and have had iPad for years. Even assuming the iPhone is doing something in the background surely this wouldn't have quadrupled my usage or led to a 4GB usage in one weekend?
Lock down? 1.  Am using the PN given password, which seemed pretty secure.
                        2. Er the next bit will need explaining "Ethernet over power adapters"?
                      3. Where do I find the devices bit and does it keep a history or would I have to just keep looking regularly?

The only download done is the necessary one to use Webex webinars. How could I find out if this was a problem? Or deal with it? I need to have the software in order to take part in the webinars. I have updated  Flashplayer too but that isn't usually a problem, just an annoyance that they want it done every couple of months!

Silv.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Silv,
Connected devices - look here http://192.168.1.254 or here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/devs/ov/?be=0&l0=4&l1=0 - you will need to log into the router using admin & and the serial number (starts with CP and is case sensitive).  It remembers what has been connected.
As for the adapters, if you do not know what they are, I'm certain you have not got any  :D. - they enable you to use the mains power wires to connect computer equipment to the router.
Usage: Apple updates (a new one was released last week) are massive - though I do not have a precise figure, reading around, iOS8 requires around 5-7 G Bytes to update over the air.  Back at iOS4 the update image size was around 600M Bytes, so 1G Bytes now is the minimum I'd guess for the current version.  Add some hand shaking, error recovery and I can readily see updating two devices and iTunes is going to cost you around 4G.
On the usage page, look at the break down link.
Hope that helps?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

silver
Grafter

Thanks Kevin
Can't see how to get a history of devices connected but the only ones showing are mine.
Now I'm such a scaredy cat that I don't do Apple updates until they are proven to have no bugs and even then I go into the Apple shop and have my hand held! So unless the devices have started to act on there own that is not the cause.
Breakdown link on usage page? Do you mean on the PN site? That doesn't seem to give a daily breakdown of what type of usage.
I have now received a reply from PN. Yes it is unusual, probably streaming video, so just pay up, cap usage or pay to go unlimited....now where did I put that chocolate teapot... Grin I have replied and pointed out that at the hours the usage happened (they provided an hourly breakdown) I was not even using the computer. Sad but I am a creature of routine and always have Sunday breakfast watching the Andrew Marr show (second peak).
Does this mean it  has to be the Webex download that has led to someone else using my allowance!!!? Any idea on next step?
Thanks as always
Silv
silver
Grafter

.....although the Webex download couldn't explain the general increased usage as I only did it ten days ago..
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have iTunes on a PC? If so read https://discussions.apple.com/message/23710128
I've seen a report where this gobbled up 3-4GB per day.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
silver
Grafter

Thanks but all my devices are Apple so if I'm reading the thread correctly this doesn't apply
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's not that then.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Silver,
Are you using iCloud at all?  I have heard of changes to iTunes resulting in all local media (music etc) getting unwittingly uploaded to iCloud.  Turning off iCloud is my first action after an iTunes update - just to be sure it ain't on.
Kevin