Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router advice

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

new router advice

I have finally lost patience with the tg582n and its irritating loss of internet connectivity and poor wireless and decided to get a new one. I am sure that the issues are firmware related but I really haven't got the time to mess around with it at the moment.  I have narrowed down a replacement to a couple of possibilities after doing some research.  A billion bipac7300n or a tp link TD-W8970 or 8980. They both have dual adsl2 or ethernet wan so I can use when fibres available in a couple of months. The tp links have gigabit lan but quite a few reviews state they do have an issue dropping connections but on amazon the positive reviews far outweigh the negs. Can anyone comment or suggest others. Looking at a spend of around £60ish
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: new router advice

I've had a few TP-Link routers and they seem to be "Ok" rather than brilliant. I ended up flashing them with DD-WRT and they are now far more stable. If I hadn't paid peanuts for them I'd have returned them.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks... I just want a router that works out of the box to be honest... not to fussed on gigabit ports, adsl I only get 6meg, fibre estimates 60meg.
Will probably go for the billion one. My networks not too complicated... skybox, bluray player, nas and homeplugs connected to router via a 5 port switch and ethernet. Laptop tablet and phones all wireless. Desktop at the other end of the homeplugs. It wil. Expand as the bambinos get older I suspect Grin
picbits
Rising Star

Just use a gigabit switch (£10-£15) connected to whatever router you choose and plug your devices into that.
cajef
Grafter

I am using a Netgear DGND3700v2 on the FTTP trial, prior to fibre is was working on ADSL+2, no problems and appears very stable especially since going onto fibre and with good wireless range.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I went for the billion one. Not a bad price from broadband buyer.
Thanks.