cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new master socket, but which?

scootie
Grafter

new master socket, but which?

ok my nte5 has developed a lovely little fault where the dial tone goes all together if the pcb board within the unit is slightly moved. the a an b wires are fine no lose connection there, the strange thing is that i can put the unit back together fully working and 20 mins later its dead and needs a good whack.
so looking on maplins i can only see the standard nte5, as i will be putin my hand in my pocket am looking for the nice filtered/ iplatey type socket. ie the one that filters as much interference as humanly possible
point me to the buy button please  Smiley ?
an shhhh don't tell openreach
this might explain why the fone sounds so quiet, but i thought this was just from being on the end of 63db + atten as this is the longest line i've ever had to use
17 REPLIES 17
mjservicing

Re: new master socket, but which?

I get all my NTE5 sockets from Clarity
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=262
Apart from the NTE5, they have a range of DSL faceplates etc.
Probably not the cheapest, but they are a decent operation with quality parts. Been trading for years.
Cheers
MJ
scootie
Grafter

clarity spot on.  Smiley
I had a name in my head but couldn't get it out, never had to replace a nte5 yet so the name hadn't stuck in my grey matter.
cheers mjservicing
scootie
Grafter

is it possible to lift the pcb out of this http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16187&cat=262&page=1 and then place it in the openreach branded casing i currently have and then whack the face plate on to that, so if openreach see it they are not going to chuck a wobbly
i know the pcb lifts easily out of this current nte5 as i all ready done that to check the soldering joints wasn't lose and causing the issue
reading the info on the site there saying there the same and manufactured in the same factory that openreach use but just not with the openreach logo but can any one confirm this?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Asbo, I think I have an NTE5 in my Garage if you can wait until tomorrow. The midges are swarming and I don't want to risk scuffing around in a garage with the light on!
I will update this thread tomorrow when I have found it.
scootie
Grafter

cheers wheel nut
Wheel_nut
Grafter

OK, I have it. PM me with your Name and Address and I will post it to you.
It is a BT NTE5 with the BT and Pan Piper Logo on it.
scootie
Grafter

nice one wheel nut, if you have got a paypal account i will happily see you right for the P&P cost
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I won't tell BT Openreach but the master socket belongs to them and if it has become faulty they should replace it, free of charge AFAIK.  There is only a charge (and it's whopping big charge) if it turns out that the problem lies with your equipment,  i.e. anything on the house side of the master socket.
Another advantage of going with Openreach is that you should get the latest technology including iPlate (or equivalent).  I don't think you'll find this in a socket with the piper logo.  
scootie
Grafter

dave's trying to sort a fttc install for me, so hopefully when/if openreach install that gear a few tea an biscuits might help them sort the drop wire box out (which is open to the weather) and i may fit the fault master back on and show them and maybe they might pull a new shiny master out the van for the adsl line at same time.
plain and simple i just think its easier to self install than wait about for a vist from openreach and they do the normal trick of not showing up, esp as this address am at is a funny address and no one can find it apart from the regular post man
at the moment i just want a none faulty master to see me right for a bit, luckly the router that PO send you out has default NM offset to keep your snr/nm at 6db so even with this faulty master on a 63db attention line my sync speed hasn't been effected, the router they use is a zyxel
richard, i knew that all ready but still thanks for the advice allways wellcome
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Asbo, It will be in the post to you in an hour.  The plastics clip apart so you can either replace the whole plate or just the innards.
Have fun....
R
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Asbo
... this address am at is a funny address and no one can find it apart from the regular post man

Arghhhh!  It's my job to go and visit people in their homes and they're often their own worst enemies with no house number/name visible from the road.  If you want to be found, make it easy for whoever is doing the looking!  Put up some signs if necessary. 
scootie
Grafter

nar its not a case of being hidden away down private roads, this is the councils stupid naming system at play here as this row of houses was built after the est was finished in the late 60's and i think this house was built in the 80's over where they pulled a block flats down from.
drew a map of the streets and hope that makes it clear why when drivers try to find us they head across the road which is the right place really as this house should be an address of something close and not something drive, took the gas company 2 months to find there way here to change the meter, and yet 2 times they said we wasn't in and left a card (no they didn't  Angry  )
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
I won't tell BT Openreach but the master socket belongs to them and if it has become faulty they should replace it, free of charge AFAIK.  There is only a charge (and it's whopping big charge) if it turns out that the problem lies with your equipment,  i.e. anything on the house side of the master socket.   

You would think that, but I was told I would have to pay for a replacement NTE when it was faulty
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Did it arrive? Did it fix your problem?