cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new fibre connection speed monitoring

scrumph

new fibre connection speed monitoring

Hi, I'm new here Smiley
I was connected to Plusnet nearly 48 hours ago and the estimate given prior to connection was 60Mbs down and 20Mbs up. The Openreach engineer said we had a good connection and on his equipment he was syncing at over 70Mbs down and 20Mbs up. Once he had left and I set up the Plusnet router etc. the speeds weren't that impressive though Sad
I have read the diagnostic page and I do know that in the first 10 days speeds will take a while to settle down (or hopefully up).
On the first morning I saw down speeds of about 12Mbs and up speeds of 11Mbs; about 24 hours later the up speed had increased to 16Mbs, but the down speed was stubbornly staying around 12Mbs. This morning I restarted the fibre modem, router and my machine but got the same results.
I will continue to monitor over the next few days, but I was wondering if this was normal at this point and at what point I should start prodding Plusnet to take a look.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: new fibre connection speed monitoring

welcome to the forums scrumph Smiley
couple of bits of information that will help others to help you
1) what does this page say: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
2) what are the results of a bt speedtest: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
3) Are you testing using wired or wireless
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scrumph

1) Estimated line speed:
60Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-09-07 19:26:59
Current line speed:
78 Mb
2) I don't have Java, so the results I quoted in my original post were obtained using the flash-based version at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/broadband.html - I suppose it could be a fault with the test/Flash...
3) Wired
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

There's a flash based one at BT and also try speedtest,net
Because on the TBB speedtest it only shows me as having a 12Mb connection, might be the port it uses where as speedtest.net shows 70Mb which is right.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scrumph

Fantastic - thanks dvorak. I'll try the BT one in the morning.
traceyisland17

What speed did you get before? Plusnet need to upgrade your account from ADSL to Fibre to enable the faster speeds. The upload isn't restricted but the download will need a cap removing if you were with them prior. I had fibre installed and only got 4mb download which was my previous ADSL speed. A phone call to the excellent customer service sorted this in 5 minutes.
scrumph

BT Flash speed test reported 76.99 Down; 15.03 Up; 23.13 Ping latency - so, false alarm - the TBB one is faulty
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Everything on your account is set up correctly, and it looks like it's working fine for you now.
If you have any other questions please let me know.