Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer line speed slower and slower as time goes on

avinitski
Dabbler

new customer line speed slower and slower as time goes on

Hi
I had fibre installed on Friday just gone, as soon as i was setup i ran speedtest.net and got approx 35Mbps down 15Mbps up.
As the weekend went on this got slower and slower, yesterday and today some webpages not loading or loading very slowly or half loading.
Last night and tonight my recent speedtests are approx 8Mbps down 0.5Mbps up, this was about my speeds i was having with ADSL and Sky who i left for Plusnet fibre! Infact my upload was better with Sky on ADSL.
Why are my speeds so poor?
im connected wired to the plusnet router.
15 REPLIES 15
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: new customer line speed slower and slower as time goes on

Hi avinitski,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums Smiley
I've check your connection and everything seems OK. Could you try connecting to your modem via a PPPoE connection to see if there's any difference?
avinitski
Dabbler

I connected my PC\laptop directly to the BT modem via Ethernet but i get the below error message within Windows 8 >
Error connecting to Plusnet
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
Maybe im not doing this right i go to create a new network connection and i choose PPPoE and it prompted for username\password then it tries to connect but i get an error.
am i right in thinking my username for the broadband connection is XXXX@plusdsl.net and my password is the same as i use to log into my account via https://portal.plus.net
adie:green removed username from post as it's a public forum.
avinitski
Dabbler

poor results again tonight.
graphic \ video heavy websites seem to take a while to load, long time to buffer.
not too chuffed with fibre so far, just getting ADSL speeds, thinking now maybe should of stayed with Sky as it was much cheaper.
njay
Grafter

Very strange.
Your ip profile is still at the maximum 77.44 that 80/20 fttc runs at so DLM has not seen any reason to intervene and reduce your ip profile. Yet you are getting woeful speed Sad
Have you tried running the speed test first thing in the morning as I find mine improves.
avinitski
Dabbler

you thinking it might be congestion?
not tried it in the morning, i don't really leave myself much time do do anything before leaving in the morning but might try and make the effort tomorrow morning.
avinitski
Dabbler

Speed test this morning at 730am 18Mbps down 0.5Mbps up.
When I signed up estimated speeds, which I know are up to speeds, were 55Mbps down 15Mbps up, how can it be so different, kind of feel cheated by Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Guidance on setting up a PPPoE dialler connection here. I think it applies to Windows 8 as well.
Were those last results wired or wireless? In any event the evening slowdown is excessive unless that was wireless.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: avinitski
I connected my PC\laptop directly to the BT modem via Ethernet but i get the below error message within Windows 8 >
Error connecting to Plusnet
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
Maybe im not doing this right i go to create a new network connection and i choose PPPoE and it prompted for username\password then it tries to connect but i get an error.
am i right in thinking my username for the broadband connection is XXXX@plusdsl.net and my password is the same as i use to log into my account via https://portal.plus.net
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) removed username from post as it's a public forum.

They are the correct details to enter, it might be worth trying again.
avinitski
Dabbler

Managed to get connected directly to the BT modem.  For anyone else having the same error message i just kept trying and skipping past the error message, quite odd, eventually it just worked.
I have attached two images of speedtests, one connected directly to the BT modem producing amazing speeds and the other connected back into the Plusnet router producing crap results.
Is the Plusnet router a duffer?
Are the speeds shown when connected to the BT modem what i should be getting with a decent router?
njay
Grafter

I can only see one attachment  Huh
avinitski
Dabbler

whoops 2nd attachment now attached
njay
Grafter

That is more like it and what I would expect seeing as your ip profile is 77.44mbs
Something definitely up with the 582n
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

What a difference, that speed should be well within the capability of the router so something is definitely amiss (yes, the finger of suspicion definitely points toward the router).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've dispatched you a new router our today, it will come with a returns bag if you could pop you current router and power supply in there it would be appreciated.