Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Draytek router troubles

smokeyone
Grafter

Re: new Draytek router troubles

I think we have lift off - very many thanks - success
Passwords were okay - I began to think I had made a mistake - but no
However WAN 1 was set to Disable rather than Enable and then entered username & password which was blank.
Router decided to reboot itself after which it connected to the internet.
Laptop wi fi is also connected.
Screen shot attached - may I ask is this parr for the course with a Draytek - should I really have had these fun and games -
Any other settings I need to think about or should I leave well enough alone.............
Thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great news !  Cool
Quote from: smokeyone
may I ask is this parr for the course with a Draytek - should I really have had these fun and games

In my opinion DrayTek's have the balance just right, for configuration flexibility while at the same time not over-complicating things.
I think what you have been through only seemed a bit of a faff, because you were swapping between two routers, and also you are using Windows PCs which don't like swapping between networks very much.  Setting ANY router up would similarly involve knowing what to look for, and understanding what all the settings do,  so what you have done is no more difficult than is typical.  The only thing that caught us out was than WAN1 wasn't automatically enabled after going through the "Quick Start Wizard", but with the 2830n being a multi-WAN router that wasn't entirely unexpected.
I have probably owned, or configured, about fifteen models of routers, and to me the DrayTek's are by far the most logical to use, and would recommend them to everybody !.

Quote from: smokeyone
Any other settings I need to think about or should I leave well enough alone.............

A few things come to mind right now -

• Try not to be switching the router off or rebooting the router too often now, as I notice your sync speed has started to drop slightly, which means the telephone exchange is unhappy with the recent disconnections.  Once the router is left alone for perhaps a week or more, your speeds should automatically recover.

• Referring to the second picture in Reply #14,  can you double check that you have set the "MTU" to 1492.

• If you haven't done it already, try putting your PC's network TCP properties back to their previous settings, which I'm guessing were DHCP automatic address allocation, etc.

• If you haven't already done it, make sure the WiFi settings on the 2830n have been set with a decent level of security (such as WPA2 with a strong password), and that you have chosen a non-default SSID so that work wireless network is easy to identify.  Have a read of that section of the handbook for more help on the various wireless security settings.

• We never did get to the bottom of what firmware your router has loaded, or whether it would benefit from an update.
    Can you post a screen shot of the page "System Maintenance" -> "System Status",  which shows the firmware version.
    From that I might be able to work backwards through the online firmware revision history and see which 2830n model that applies to, and therefore deduce if that firmware has been superseded.

I have a few more minor ideas to suggest, but need to read the handbook first, so will probably post any further ideas this evening.
So enjoy your new 2830n, use as many different internet activities as you can (web-browsing ,email, downloading, iPlayer, YouTube, etc) and check it all works as expected.
Wink
smokeyone
Grafter

A few things come to mind right now -
    Try not to be switching the router off or rebooting the router too often now, as I notice your sync speed has started to drop slightly, which means the telephone exchange is unhappy with the recent    disconnections.  Once the router is left alone for perhaps a week or more, your speeds should automatically recover.

Probably my imagination but think my internet speed has improved slightly over my old Dlink-
    Referring to the second picture in Reply #14,  can you double check that you have set the "MTU" to 1492.
                                                        MTU set to 1492
    If you haven't done it already, try putting your PC's network TCP properties back to their previous settings, which I'm guessing were DHCP automatic address allocation, etc.
                                                        Automatic address allocation etc confirmed
    If you haven't already done it, make sure the WiFi settings on the 2830n have been set with a decent level of security (such as WPA2 with a strong password), and that you have chosen a non-default SSID so that work wireless network is easy to identify.  Have a read of that section of the handbook for more help on the various wireless security settings.
                                                        Using the very long password on the label underneath the router but please could you explain about WPA2 - non default SSID
    We never did get to the bottom of what firmware your router has loaded, or whether it would benefit from an update.
    Can you post a screen shot of the page "System Maintenance" -> "System Status",  which shows the firmware version.
    From that I might be able to work backwards through the online firmware revision history and see which 2830n model that applies to, and therefore deduce if that firmware has been superseded.
                                                        Screenshot attached
I have a few more minor ideas to suggest, but need to read the handbook first, so will probably post any further ideas this evening.
So enjoy your new 2830n, use as many different internet activities as you can (web-browsing ,email, downloading, iPlayer, YouTube, etc) and check it all works as expected.

Wi fi seems okay - 40 feet connection across a courtyard through two windows - like an L shaped home - which the Dlink could not manage-
                                                        three green bars out of five but wi fi picks up BBC iplayer okay barely buffering

Cheers