cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netgear wireless router dg 834g

suef1965
Dabbler

netgear wireless router dg 834g

i have just bought a netgear wireless router, how can i get it to work with plusnet? i plugged router in and all lights come on but i cant use the internet, i just message saying internet explorer cannot display this page? At the moment im using thompson  TG 585 v 8 please help
24 REPLIES 24
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: netgear wireless router dg 834g

Okay Sue, it needs a user name and a password.  The user name is your_user_name@plusdsl.net and the password is your password.  Provided it knows you are in the UK than you should not need to change any other settings.  I would imagine your router came with enough instructions to inform you how to enter this information. 
suef1965
Dabbler

hi it didnt come with any instructions or instalation disc as i bought it second hand from ebay, do i need to install any drivers? if so where can i download them from?
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: suef1965
i bought it second hand from ebay

Does it have a Netgear logo on the front or is it something else like Sky, for example?
Are you able to logon to the router at 192.168.0.1?
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: MrT
Are you able to logon to the router at 192.168.0.1?
[/quote
If it is Netgear, the router url is 192.168.0.1 and the default password is: password.
Chandu.
suef1965
Dabbler

yes it is netgear router as it has log on the front, but dont understand what you do when log in to router, do i attach router to pc first then log into router? as have no internet when i attach router to pc
CX
Grafter

Shut down your computer and connect the Netgear router. Make sure you have connected to it via Ethernet, not wireless. Then boot your computer back up.
(doing this ensures that you get a new IP address via DHCP - the PN router uses a different IP range by default than Netgears)
Once booted up, navigate via your web browser to http://192.168.0.1 and enter the default username (admin) and password (password).
(in the browser address bar, instead of typing e.g. www.google.co.uk, just type 192.168.0.1)
If that doesn't work (it's possible the previous owner changed the default IP range to something else), hold in the reset button on the back of the Netgear router for a few seconds, and repeat the process. Hopefully that will get you onto the setup pages. I believe it has a setup wizard on first run after a reset. Enter your PN username and password and wait for it to finish configuring itself.
suef1965
Dabbler

thankyou will try that  Smiley
Ransomefan
Grafter

CX 23882 is almost certainly correct but.... I got a second hand netgear DG 834g v4 router via ebay.  It was not badged by Sky or any ISP.  I tried admin and password with no progress.  I posted on a forum and it was pointed out to me that the default user name and password was on a label on the back of the router  :-[.   
TheIslander
Grafter

I have a DG834G v5
This what you need to do.
Log into router http://192.168.0.1  default username and password on base of router.
Click on Basic Setting on menu on left hand side.
Encapsulation is PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login is username@plusdsl.net
Password is the password you set up when you joined plus net
Idle time out I would put in 0
Then save

Click on ADSL settings in left hand side menu
Multiplexing Method is VC-BASED
VPI is 0
VCI is 38
DSL Mode I have on auto
Then save
Hopefully that should do the trick. Might need to reboot.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and it is the same on the v4
If all else fails do a factory reset
This involves pushing in the button (using a pencil or similar)
Using the Reset Button
To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the administration password
or IP address, you must use the reset button on the rear panel of the router.
1. Press and hold the reset button until the Power LED turns red (about 6 seconds).
2. Release the reset button and wait for the router to reboot.
If you need the v4 manual shout up and I will attach it to a post as it is only 404kB
TheIslander
Grafter

You can get more info from Netgear themselves see link. http://support.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/1288
Their phone number is 0844 875 4000 if you bought your product within 90 days.
suef1965
Dabbler

hi i have followed instructions by CX23882 and the islander but still not joy. It will say i have a connection and and web page comes up when i click on google chrome but when i click on other web page eg: ebay it will say it cannot connect and then plusnet assist automatically comes on and says i have problem with connection gives me instructions to turn off router then wait for solid green light but will still not work, its driving me nuts trying to get it to work especially when i people say they use the netgear router, im confused
rodtrotter
Grafter

Have you logged in to your router ? Using your IE  user name admin password - password then run the set up wizard fill in your plusnet login details then do what it tells you it then should work
suef1965
Dabbler

yes i have logged into router as i put in plusnet username details ect as advised, but dont know how to run set up wizard!