cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netgear router for fibre keeps disconnecting wifi - BT homehub is fine

staking
Dabbler

netgear router for fibre keeps disconnecting wifi - BT homehub is fine

just recently got fibre installed and problems with my netgear N150 WNR1000 wireless router, the ethernet connecting is 100% but soon as you use wiif, random disconnects, tried factory reset and checked for firmware updates, tried different security settings via admin.
I was with bt infinity before and lucky to have a a bt homehub to try, just put in my plus.net details and its 100% stable on wifi.
btw exactly same speed as bt infinity  Smiley
anyone else had similar issues ?
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: netgear router for fibre keeps disconnecting wifi - BT homehub is fine

Have you perhaps tried changing the wireless channel manually? this can help in case the channel you're currently on is being used by other routers around you (i.e in neighboring or nearby properties)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterPan
Grafter

I am also suffering pretty poor Wi-Fi performance from my Netgear N150 WNR1000v3 router, as supplied by PN.  I've tried re-positioning it (not by very much, as it is tied to the Optical Network Terminator - if that is the correct name - and the FTTP fibre).  I've tried manually selecting a different WiFi channel, but that did not help.  I've tried using inSSIDer (as advised by PN) on my Netbook and WiFi Analyser on my Android phone, but neither show any significant interference from other users.  All I see is variable signal strength from the router, with intermittent drops to very weak indeed.  This is from the router in the Study to my Netbook the Lounge, which is only a few feet away.
So I shelled out and bought a Netgear WiFi Extender (WN2000RPT).  I have reluctantly concluded that it is worse than useless.  I've tried it in various positions, roughly half way between the Router and the Netbook, but it is more likely to drop the link to the main router than the Netbook itself is.  Even when it is working, some emails and Internet pages will not load properly (no graphics is typical) if I connect via the Extender, but work fine, if I go direct to the Router - until I lose the signal again....
Recently I started having a new problem.  On starting up the Netbook, it will sometimes (once or twice a day) connect to the Router, but then say that there is no Internet access.  PlusNet Assist then kicks in and tells me to turn the router Off and On again;  that normally sorts it, but is hardly convenient. 
Do PN use any other routers for FTTP which have a decent Wi-Fi performance?  If not, can anyone recomment one to buy and use without the luxury of PN support?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We're currently supplying the Thomson (now Technicolor) 582n for fibre connections though I believe the wireless is similar to the WNR1000 range wise. If you need a strong wireless signal several users on this forum have had good luck with the Home Hub 3 (I think 3?) bought second hand from eBay, others like one of the Billion models (I think it's the 7200N). I'm not sure how they work as far as Fibre goes though, but it should be possible.
Hope that helps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Would having the router sited differently help? You can use a long CAT 5e Ethernet cable to connect the router to the modem (as long as it is less than 100 metres).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)