cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netgear dg834g v4 firmware advice needed

scootie
Grafter

netgear dg834g v4 firmware advice needed

hi. just bein looking to see if there was a new firmware out for the dg834g v4. there was no new firmware relesed .my current one is 5.01.01 but if you look at the 3 versions avalible on the attched capture of the netgear site 2 of them are usable in the uk and was wondering what diffrences there are between the 2. and if to use the other one.
Any one using the 5.01.09 firmware and is it performing o.k?
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: netgear dg834g v4 firmware advice needed

I am and no problems.
there is another report on TBB where an increase in synch speed was seen.
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&Number=3480462
scootie
Grafter

cheers oldjim. would be nice to see a 1mb increase in sync speed but i dont think thats likely to happen to me just my luck  Sad
have ago at upgrading today. my main reason for posting this was to make sure no one was geting any bad bugs with the 5.01.09 firmware.
MrC
Grafter

Yup, been using 5.01.09 on a DG834v4 (no wireless) for months. Very stable indeed on a line with 55db attenuation and a SNR that varies from 2-5db, and still getting 4Mb.
The DG834 doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that more expensive routers have, eg QoS for VOIP would have been nice, but it looks like OpenWRT support is coming along nicely.
scootie
Grafter

(55db attenuation and a SNR that varies from 2-5db, and still getting 4Mb.) lucky you MrC.
mine 52db atten 12 snr set by self with dmt gives me a sync 2720 with profile of 2000.
IF i let my router sync normal it goes with the 9 db default snr on my line and pushes my sync upto about 3400 ish sync and if i set with dmt down to 6 db push it to around 4000 ish sync. but at the 9db and 6db  it will hold it for a few days then get a re sync event.
I game so have interleaving off and not sure if the dslam sees to many errors on my line after few days and resyncs me thinking its doing my line good or is a interferce resync not sure as i never left router stats lite runing that long to catch it in the act.
but even with interleaving on and a 6db target best i ever got was a 3500 profile for a wee while before i got a resync and it would knock down to 3000 or 2500 profile
Any way must not moan about it as i never get any lag on my xbox with my 2mb profile and no random resyncs with a low sync speed.

opps the reason i came here and nearly  forgot to say after reading MrC at 55db with 4000kbps that i upgraded to 5.01.09 tonight all's well but no increase in sync speed for me
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just done a resynch this morning at 11.6dB and this is the result
Noise Margin:    11.6  dB (drops to about 7.5 overnight)
Connection Rate:  3584  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 52.0  dB
Power:            19.1  dBm
I can't explain the difference between my results and yours
This is what DMT shows - is yours much different
scootie
Grafter

heres a capture of my dmt. i raised my snr slighty like a said in my previous post to improve my xbox gaming and my line dosent drop connection at this sync rate to.
But having what to me seems near same line stats seems strange mine syncs lower. just had quick look at the 2 and noticed the power is slighty diffrent and your using alot more tones wonder why my tone range is so limited.
Glad you posted that dmt now.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi asbodog, I'm not sure if you've posted about it elsewhere, but your graphs suggest problems with your internal phone wiring.
PS, for a "different" DMT graph please see attached!
scootie
Grafter

thanks for the input HP sauce.
nope only the master socket in this house no extensions. router nxt to the master socket.
There is a power socket pretty close to the master socket thoe surrpose this could cause the intrefence but  no chance im re wiring the the power socket some where else and cant move the master socket as bt wag there finger at that sort of stuff.
scootie
Grafter

Right had a tinker with setups.
All that i have done is remove the face plate from the master socket and plug into the test socket. Should not make any diffrence as i have no extensions. So dont know why i am seeing this improvment.
i've tested with 3 difffrent filters, a spare rj11 cable (router to filter cable think its rj11), with phone pluged in and not.
After seeing the improvment with all the diffrent setups i went back to the oringal setup i had but used the test socket and still get the improvment.
my default snr target must be 12db now as i just switched the router on and let it sync no tinkering with dmt to set snr
just see now if it holds at this sync speed now
heres a few of the dmt results from the setups and a couple of pictures of my master socket. when it says oringal setup on the dmt graphs it means that i have the rj11 cable going from the master socket in hall way though the wall into the living room but passes close the power socket thats why i tryed diffrent rj11 cable that was not near the power socket but still got same improvment with both.
cheers for the replys bright sparks
HPsauce
Pro

A bad contact maybe, cleared by removal/reassembly?
Or a fault in the drop wire, altered by moving it?
Nice improvement though, hope it stays stable.  Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

what you mean by drop wire?
do you mean the wire in the face plate connecting the two sockets on it.
HPsauce
Pro

"Drop wire" is the normal term for the incoming BT cable.
(the multicore cable of which 2 cores are used for your signal - Orange and White is standard)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is possible that the connection between the removable faceplate and the test socket was a bit dodgy or that the filter connection in the removable faceplate was a bit worn.
scootie
Grafter

well i am going to monitor it  till a few days after bt have raised my profile to see what its like when thoughput is increased and if alls good i will buy one of those new face plates.
Cheers again oldjim for posting that dmt with same stats as mine as i would of not tested if i didnt see the diffrence in tone range.
I will post back in a few days to let you how i got on.