cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mybroadbandspeed - when is it going to be fixed?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: mybroadbandspeed - when is it going to be fixed?

What about changing the copy to read as follows then?
[quote="Proposed caveat"]Sorry - My Broadband Speed is currently experiencing technical difficulty and may display misleading test results. Thanks for bearing with us
while we fix things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely it must be possible for the server(s) to detect when resource capacity is being reached, and then redirect any new connections to a holding page stating that the site is overloaded.
It is pointless allowing speedtests to be done when the server is known to be overloaded, as the result is not only meaningless, but it also wastes capacity for everyone else doing tests at the same time - which might otherwise be OK.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
[quote="Proposed caveat"]Sorry - My Broadband Speed is currently experiencing technical difficulty and may display misleading test results. Thanks for bearing with us while we fix things.

Better!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: purleigh
Surely it must be possible for the server(s) to detect when resource capacity is being reached, and then redirect any new connections to a holding page stating that the site is overloaded.

No. The problem is not with server load. It's mainly congestion further upstream on the network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

adagio
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I've just looked at that topic and you didn't ever provide the information Andrew requested!
Edit: ... and looking at their speedtest results map I can see results for BT users up to full speed FTTC for BT users.

I certainly did by email at Andrew's request !
He suggested some tests using tbbmeter which I carried out. - he did provide me with an explanation but I don't remember the detail and seem to have deleted the email.
I suggest you read the whole thread.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: adagio
He suggested some tests using tbbmeter which I carried out. - he did provide me with an explanation but I don't remember the detail and seem to have deleted the email.
I suggest you read the whole thread.

Just found my last reply to Andrew
> 
> I'll try and put something into the thread on the bbs later today,
> with a copy of your graphs to illustrate things if you dont mind.
>
> Andrew
>
Perfectly happy for you to make whatever use you like of the data.
Kind regards
David

I never saw anything appear in the thread.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

[quote="Proposed caveat"]Sorry - My Broadband Speed is currently experiencing technical difficulty and may display misleading test results. Thanks for bearing with us
while we fix things.

This is now live.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Bob,
Just had a look at MBS and noted  that your warning text still appears. Right now it shows my download speed and upload speed actually compare well with the figures from my Belkin N router for once. Can I take it that work has been done or is it just a lucky fluke?
Cheesy  Shocked
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've not made any improvements as of yet.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
colintivy
Rising Star

Fluke then OK?
I did have hopes that the PITA could subside!!
Crazy
delem
Grafter

I'm also finding that MyBBS speed tests show good correlation with the BT Above  24 Mbps Beta tester whereas for the past month or so it was all over the place.
grs_wombat55

Speed Test

Does anyone else think that it's about time the speed test was fixed? It's been displaying the "Sorry" message for quite a while now.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's not a trivial fix otherwise we would have done this already, We know we need to do something with it and we'll update here when we have more information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
colintivy
Rising Star

Noted the nice new text on it that says nothing new! My recent looks show that my performance is a very good representation of a photo of the alps!! My router does not agree. It is certainly time that SOMETHING needs to be done.
Shocked  Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

while we fix things.

This is now live.

It has been spotted that this caveat has been removed. Presumably that means that all of the issues in the following have been resolved:
Quote from: jelv
Even on a 20CN line the results are half what they should be. The results it gives are seriously misleading. Until it is fixed it should be closed down and the link from the members centre redirected to some other tester that actually works!

There was a service status posted back in February during a period of time when the BT Speedtester was having problems. This was driving traffic to mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and putting the boxes under a lot of load.
Since then the boxes are no longer under load but there is definitely congestion upstream and we recognise that the speedtester is returning unreliable and misleading results.
As far as I've been able to tell, the problem stems from the fact that the platform needs scaling. In its current form it's not capable of handling the traffic. We probably need more boxes and the service needs switching to a higher capacity area of our network.
I suspect the bulk of the problem is due to ta bottle neck further upstream rather than an issue with the boxes themselves.
I have been discussing this with a few people in the office as we need to make a call on what to do. Either invest time/money into fixing the service, take it offline, or restrict it to Plusnet IP addresses or similar. We also need to consider what we do with all the linking that's done to the site from places like the Member Centre, Faults Checker and Help & Support pages.
I have serious concerns about taking offline completely because the site generates a hell of a lot of third party traffic and has a very desirable search ranking. Taking the site offline will damage this and harm any future plans to capitalise on the SEO traffic by branding/linking back from the site.
As soon as I know what's happening I'll be sure to let people know. I'll have a look at getting a Service Status out ...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)