cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mybroadbandspeed history: bizarre

Tamlyn
Grafter

Re: mybroadbandspeed history: bizarre

OK, here's how it works. If you have a cookie then it uses that to find previous results in the database. If you don't have a cookie it searches for previous results in the past 36 hours (I think, don't have the code to hand to check) and if it finds a result with the same IP it guesses you're the same person and assigns you a cookie. If it doesn't find any results then it generates a new cookie.
I guessed that it was highly unlikely for someone to visit the speed tester for the first time on the same IP that someone else had used less that 36 hours ago... but it appears I was wrong! Maybe we should reduce it to something like 1 or 2 hours so it would act more like a browser session? I think it's useful to have the same results displayed on different computers on the home network because it is the shared connection that is being tested, not the individual computer or browser.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I suspect deleting the cookie is the cause. If the cookie was there it would have realised that the results stored against your IP were not yours. Without the cookie it has to make the assumption that previous results on the same IP are yours.

I deleted my cookie and my results disappeared. Being on a fixed IP I know my IP has not changed  Huh
Colin
Grafter

Sad I'd just looked at the code and come to post the same info as Tam  Tongue
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

As my test was more than 36 hours, Tam's post explains why my results dissappeared.
Yes, I believe reducing the time period to a few hours will minimise any incorrect results but not eliminate it.
What is the lease time for dynamic IPs? That would be a suitable timeframe to look for old test results.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm on a dynamic IP (PAYG RIN) and every time I disconnect/reconnect I get a different IP so I don't think you can relate it to a DHCP lease time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Tamlyn
I guessed that it was highly unlikely for someone to visit the speed tester for the first time on the same IP that someone else had used less that 36 hours ago... but it appears I was wrong!

What you have overlooked is if (as in this case) someone deletes their cookies when they exit their browser - it then looks to you like a first time visit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tsonga
Grafter

Even more bizarre, the person is carrying on with their speedtests. Just had another look at mybroadbandspeed history and look (!):
Today 11:43  431 kbps (53.9kB/s)  301 kbps (37.6kB/s)  Share
Today 11:40 341 kbps (42.6kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 11:40 419 kbps (52.4kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 11:24 343 kbps (42.9kB/s) 301 kbps (37.6kB/s) Share
Today 11:17 378 kbps (47.3kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 11:14 340 kbps (42.5kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 11:04 342 kbps (42.8kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 11:03 354 kbps (44.3kB/s) 301 kbps (37.6kB/s) Share
Today 11:02 341 kbps (42.6kB/s) 300 kbps (37.5kB/s) Share
Today 08:51 4711 kbps (589kB/s) 368 kbps (46kB/s) Share
Yesterday 07:31 415 kbps (51.9kB/s) 294 kbps (36.8kB/s) Share
Wednesday 22:16 361 kbps (45.1kB/s) 293 kbps (36.6kB/s) Share
Wednesday 21:08 355 kbps (44.4kB/s) 281 kbps (35.1kB/s) Share
Wednesday 20:58 382 kbps (47.8kB/s) 294 kbps (36.8kB/s) Share
Wednesday 19:45
I am not posting the whole lot because clearly this is someone who does lots of speedtests. Mine is the one in red.
What is going on? Am I sharing an ip with someone else?  Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: BlueRhizome

Today 08:51 4711 kbps (589kB/s) 368 kbps (46kB/s) Share

LOL! They must be wondering how on earth they achieved such a good result this morning at 8:51! Grin
Tsonga
Grafter

Well, whoever it is has made another eight speedtests since my last post. I am surprised to realize that I am sharing an ip address with someone else. Is this common practice? Are there no implications in terms of security, privacy, and in legal terms (i.e., in the unlikely case that people you share ip addresses with are prosecuted for their internet activities)? How often does a dynamic ip address change and when will I be able to stop seeing this persons' speed progress, which is also a breach of his/her privacy?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We have a pool of dynamic IPs and each time you connect you pick up a different one, as far as I know there is no lease time.
With regard to the speed test results, I'll chase Tam when he's in next and get him to reduce that 36 hour limit.
Apologies for the hassle,
Tsonga
Grafter

Hi again! Thank you for your answer!
Actually, this is not my point. What I am saying is that I do not want to share an ip address with someone else.
I think this has far-reaching implications in terms of security and privacy. I would like to know if this is common practice at PlusNet, or if there is an error in the system somewhere, which will be rectified.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The nature of dynamic IPs is such that you'll generally get one that's been used by someone else at some point, if you use a dynamic IP that's just the way it works I'm afraid. I see what you're saying but we can tell from digging through our records (not easily!) which account was issued which IP at what time if need be.
If that doesn't reassure you we can issue you a static IP if you wish - let me know.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

At grave risk of jumping in to something I know nothing about the reported speed tests appear to show that the tester with the low speeds was doing tests before and after BlueRhizome so the argument about dynamic IP addresses doesn't really hold up.
Tsonga
Grafter

Yes, Oldjim is correct.
I don't mind using an ip address after someone else, obviously, and I know that there is a log of them.
My point is that I am currently sharing one with someone else. This is why I can see the results of their numerous speedtests which are ongoing as we speak.
Obviously, seeing someone's speedtest results is not an issue. But what if it was another website with confidential information on?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm assuming this is more to do with cookies (probably the one on their PC storing information against an older IP address for some reason?) as you're the only user on the IP you're currently issued and have been since the 27th Feb.
Unfortunately that's the only guess I can think of right now as you've deleted your own cookies and Colin or Tam won't be about until Monday.