cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mybroadbandspeed history: bizarre

Tsonga
Grafter

mybroadbandspeed history: bizarre

I did a speedtest this morning for the first time in a while, on http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
I was bemused to see that my 'speedtest history' held about 30/40 results, some of them from yesterday. All of the results were speeds about 10 times lower than mine. I assume that the results belong to whoever had my ip address before me? Is there a bug in the speedtester? Shouldn't the history get erased when an ip address moves to someone else?  Cool
33 REPLIES 33
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: mybroadbandspeed history: bizarre

I thought it uses a cookie on your PC to store the results?
If it is stored on the website by IP and you are using a dynamic one, the website is not going to know between tests if the IP still belongs to you or to someone else.
Not applicable

I thought so too.
Shouldn't be possible to get somebody else's results based on that.
Because I use my laptop at home and work, the cookie makes both of them appear merged together in the list, so it seems unlikely that its anything to do with the IP address.
More likely an errant cookie, or some sort of mismatch between the cookie and the site?
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
I thought it uses a cookie on your PC to store the results?

Doubt it because Firefox clears my cookies every time I exit it. Yet, I can still see my history in 'mybroadbandspeed' when I open the page. I was a bit surprised by that at first actually. The same thing happens with 'speedtest.net'.
Not applicable

Thats confusing, because if I use another computer on the network to access mybroadbandspeed I can't see the same history that I can on the other machine.
When did you start using that IP address?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Are you sure firefox has actually removed the cookie for the website - it can sometimes forget or lose track of cookies.
Look for and manually delete any cookies for the website and see if the problem remains.
Edit to add: I have just removed my cookie for the website and my results have gone so your problem is cookie related.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its strange, I thought that cookies were machine dependant, I have two Laptops, the myspeedtest results from one are shown on the other?
Tsonga
Grafter

Yes, me too, I get results from my laptop and from my desktop merged together in my speedtest history.
I have now deleted all cookies manually, and the list in history is still there, untouched! Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just asked Colin about this and he says the results are recorded by IP and cookie. He's going to look at exactly how and let me know soon.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Did/does the cookie show up under tools -> options -> Privacy tab -> show cookies?
Check where your cookies are stored in firefox and manually look and delete any to see if they still show up. Perhaps the cookie does not store the results but has an id used to reference the speed tests within the website.
Still does not explain why you get the same results from 2 different systems.
Do you see the results when using IE7?
[edit to add]I see Colin is now involved so hopefully this should be resolved / explained soon - A little bugette  me thinks  Roll_eyes
Tsonga
Grafter

Edit to add: I have just removed my cookie for the website and my results have gone so your problem is cookie related.

So how is that possible, then, if it is both ip and cookie based?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

See my edit  Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

Did/does the cookie show up under tools -> options -> Privacy tab -> show cookies?
Check where your cookies are stored in firefox and manually look and delete any to see if they still show up. Perhaps the cookie does not store the results but has an id used to reference the speed tests within the website.
Still does not explain why you get the same results from 2 different systems.
Do you see the results when using IE7?
[edit to add]I see Colin is now involved so hopefully this should be resolved / explained soon - A little bugette  me thinks  Roll_eyes

I saw your edit but thought I would answer anyway.
Yes, the results show in IE7 (which I never use normally).
Yes, I had deleted all cookies in Firefox manually in the way that you suggest.
Yes, sounds like a little bug to me.
Yes, I am more worried about world poverty.
Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suspect deleting the cookie is the cause. If the cookie was there it would have realised that the results stored against your IP were not yours. Without the cookie it has to make the assumption that previous results on the same IP are yours.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont generally delete cookies I use Firefox