cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my dns name

graemev
Grafter

my dns name

Can't seem to find this info. Pretty sure it used to be on the "my account" page.

Right now I have the IP 84.92.xx.yy  Now if I do a reverse loopup I see plusnet maintain <myuserid>.force9.co.uk  A record pointing at it.

Now my mother-in-law joined plusnet recently (post forec9 takeover) and she had , earlier today 84.93.xx.yy but a reverse lookup fails ... any idea what her (forward) DNS name is ?

<mun-in-laws-userid>.plus.net  ?   <mun-in-laws-userid>.plusnet.co.uk  ?

3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: my dns name

Thanks for your post @graemev

You'll only have a rDNS set against your IP address if you've taken out a static IP from us. If you'd prefer it not to show your username just let me know and I'll get that arranged for you

Based on what you've said I suspect your mother-in-law only has a dynamic IP address so there would be no rDNS set against it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
graemev
Grafter

Thanks for that. no, Happy with my current settings thanks!

Proably getting my mother-in-law a static IP would be closer to my needs.

Howver I suspect she could just register with a dyndns ... I think there is even a setting on the "homehub" for that. Seemed a bit daft coming from ISP ... since they were SoA for their own addresses, so could so could " authoritatively answer" any request without the need for any messing around wit DDNS servers.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

Thanks for your post @graemev

You'll only have a rDNS set against your IP address if you've taken out a static IP from us. If you'd prefer it not to show your username just let me know and I'll get that arranged for you

Based on what you've said I suspect your mother-in-law only has a dynamic IP address so there would be no rDNS set against it.

Given that I don't have a static IP address, can anyone explain how the following relates to the above:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet
Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name": xxxxxx.plus.com

The string of text above is known as your Internet connection's "reverse DNS." The end of the string is probably a domain name related to your ISP.