cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple wifi and broadband dropouts per day

Acky720

multiple wifi and broadband dropouts per day

Hi,
I've dealt with PN about this when I switched to them from BT (never had any problems with them) about six months ago. It was a constant problem then and is becoming one again now. They did not deal with it very well on their Help and Support part of the site at the time so i'm hoping someone on here can supply some answers this time.
My wifi signal is dropping out regularly, particularly when I'm listening to Spotify, which is very annoying. I've got good/excellent wifi strength which rapidly degrades to fair or poor when using Spotify and then the signal will be lost completely. The broadband signal seems to be lost as well and I have to reset and restart. I sometimes have the same problem when streaming video - whenever I want to use the broadband connection and wifi for its intended purpose, really.
I've done all the wifi channel changing and listening to phone lines for noise stuff and that's all fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Ack
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: multiple wifi and broadband dropouts per day

Hi Ack,
Welcome to PlusNet and the forums.
From your description it is difficult to be sure if it is the wifi which is causing the issue or the broadband connection.  Do you see the same issue if you connect to the router using an Ethernet cable?  Separating out Wifi issues from BB issues can be difficult - see here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=17711 - this went from "its all bad" to "its just wifi" to "Oh damn its my connected kit".
The best way to help fix this is to go back to basics - examine your ADSL service metrics and check out things within your control.  Can you please gather and report the information requested here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Is the router in the master socket?  Is there a test socket?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acky720

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for getting back to me. The problem doesn't occur when I plug in an ethernet cable and the router is in the master socket  - one with integral filters. I can't see a test socket. The information you requested is below (at least I think it is!).
Thanks again.
Phil

mwarby
Grafter

Could the WiFi and DSL dropout be being caused by a faulty router/psu or a noisy (electrcally rather than audibly) being swtiched on/off
Martin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Ack,
This information is "in the right area" but you've got the wrong bit from the router - possibly understandably so.  You've posted the internet connection data, rather than the DSL Connection data as shown here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0
I would recommend that you remove the information given in the last post from the router, as it contains your network address.

Assuming (for what you said) that the BT speed test was done when connected to the router by Ethernet cable, then I suspect that you have a problem with the line.  That data speed is way below the data profile speed (6Mbps) which is consistent between BT and PlusNet (which is frequently the source of this kind of issue). 
There is though a remote possibility that the bRAS profile is wrong - we've seen a few such incidents over recent weeks - needs one of the CRT gurus to check that one out!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Acky720. Did the bit that's been deleted also contain your Current Line speed (Login required) ?  If not, worth checking to see what it says. (Don't post your phone number)
PS. You don't have to post screen grabs of any of this, you can just do a test copy and paste with your mouse and cursor and so easily delete the things like phone numbers and IP addresses. DNS addresses and Gateway addresses etc are not a problem, and should be left in