cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving technicolor 582n away from bt fibre modem

fids

moving technicolor 582n away from bt fibre modem

Hi there
I've tried searching for an answer to this and found similar problems/solutions on this forum, but they're not exactly what I'm looking for.
Basically:
I've got FTTC plusnet
I live in a flat - 3rd floor. 18 flats in the building
speed is good to the 582n router... get about 57mb when laptop is right next to it - wirelessly.
I only have one BT socket - it's in a cupboard as soon as you enter the flat.
Flat was built early 70sand has brick internal walls...
the 582n router is plugged into the bt modem.
I currently only use wifi, but will eventually want to plug a media centre computer into the internet.
As it stands, my TV, where I plug my laptop in/have ipod streaming to hifi etc, is at the other end of the flat... and the signal drops out.
So I'm wondering:
Can I install powerline adapters/homeplugs directly to the BT modem
Then have another one in the living room, where I'd plug the 582n router to, which would give me wireless signal throughout that side of the flat (where i use it most)?
The other option I was thinking was to leave the 582n plugged into the bt modem... plug the powerline adapters into the 582n, have the 2nd adapter in the lounge, and use an old wireless router to get wireless signal in the living room (I have an old belkin one kicking about somewhere...). If so: how would I set up the routers?
Many thanks for any replies in advance
3 REPLIES 3
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: moving technicolor 582n away from bt fibre modem

Quote from: fids
Can I install powerline adapters/homeplugs directly to the BT modem
Then have another one in the living room, where I'd plug the 582n router to
That should work OK. You'll need decent powerline adapters to match full fibre speeds though - I doubt the 200Mbps ones are capable of handling  80Mbps.
I've no idea how hard it would be to run ethernet in your home but that would certainly be cheaper and more reliable. You can get flat profile as well as round if that would help.
fids

thanks digitalham
Don't think i'll be able to run cable... it's a rented flat with floor boards so no easy way to get it there...
is setting up power adapters easy with the router on the other end?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

i have one power adapter plugged into the router & the other plugged into the mains 1 floor down & 3 rooms to the south. I set  up the master plug using the WPS button & the slave connected automatically. I'm using TP Link AV 500.