Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move from one PN provider to another

hulls
Grafter

move from one PN provider to another

Hi
Someone commented (again) on the length of my email address today (in the form  me@user.free-online.co.uk) and it set me to wondering how easy it would be for me to move from Free-online to Plusnet.  Would it involve me getting a MAC code for instance?  Or could the geniuses at PN Towers simply swop me over?
If it's a lot of hassle I don't suppose I'll bother, but I thought it was worth questioning.
John
24 REPLIES 24
mal0z
Grafter

Re: move from one PN provider to another

why not get a domain name, either your name or something else, and then redirect the emails to your freeonline account.
so people email you at for example mail@mydomain.me etc etc
Plenty of people with provide a domain name such as
http://getdotted.com/why-buy-domain-name.php

pierre_pierre
Grafter

another alternative that works in your case is to replace free-online with idps  they bought this out just for people like us, it stands for I dont Pay Subscription
you dont need to change any of your settings it is automatically routed
Wheel_nut
Grafter

To answer the OP's question, Yes, you can and it doesn't need a MAC. Either raise a ticket or wait until James picks it up here.
Santiago
Grafter

Whether you move to plusnet or not, if you would like a neat and small email address have a look here GMX
The email address would be like me@gmx.com.  Every user name I have put has been accepted. You can get.com .co.uk .eu .us and more. It is webmail but you can access your mail through your regular email client e.g. Outlook or Thunderbird. POP3 and Imap are available. Lots of other features are available, I use it all the time and I think it's great.
HTH
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
To move to Plusnet simply involves you signing up a Plusnet account and adding payment details. Then raise a ticket and we'll do the rest.
You'd need to change the username in your router once we've sorted your new account, but other than that it's pretty simple. Smiley
hulls
Grafter

Thanks all.  I'll stick with the idps solution for now (I'd forgotten about that!), but may take think again later.  Smiley
John
James
Grafter

Hi John,
I'd actually go with the domain name suggestion.
It can be with your for life and you get to choose a format that's suitable for you.  I'd definitely give it some thought.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As pierre says, the easiest way for you may be to simply use the @username.idsp.co.uk address, it's shorter and will already be in place on your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

James, Wouldn't idsp.co.uk be with him forever as well, because Plusnet will be, and it will of course be the best ISP for all time to come, so he wouldn't need to move away!?!  Cheesy
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

It was just a suggestion as a domain name would give a more flexible option for an email address Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

Bit like GMX then
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Is that game, set & match  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Who me.uk as well as the others all with my name courtesy of free-online and the 07 fiasco
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Santiago
Bit like GMX then

If GMX goes out of business or starts charging can I take my GMX email address anywhere else I like - I can do that with my .me.uk domain.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)