cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mothers broadband - ADSL with only 1meg sync on 17.5dB attenuation?

plexy
Grafter

mothers broadband - ADSL with only 1meg sync on 17.5dB attenuation?

Hi plusnet,
My mum has migrated from an 18 year BT customer (with namesco broadband for the last 7 years) to plusnet "up to 8mbps". With namesco her sync speed in modem stats was 8meg and her throughput was usually around 6 or 7 meg down. After migrating to plusnet her throughput rarely gets over 0.8mbps down/ 0.2mbps up
The exchange is a market 1 exchange. BT DSL availability checker for the line states the range of expected speed is 7 to 8mbps. The DSL stats show the line is fully capable of operating at 8meg, yet the sync is slow. The modem will sync at no more than 1mbps with 250kbps upload. The situation is the same when using the test socket.
I did advise my mother to use your support system to log a ticket, however she has been put of from this by the step which says that "if it turns out to be the router" (that you have just supplied her) you will charge her for the engineer. As a older lady on benefits thats made her too scared to use your support link.
I did do a test via BT wholesale, which shows 800kbps down and 190kbps up (if memory serves). I then tried to do the 'run diagnostics' from that page and the diagnostics failed, with a message about contacting the broadband provider if the message persists. Well, that message had persisted for a few weeks now.
The changeover happened about 5 or so weeks ago and the sync hasnt changed from the 1meg, so this is not a new install having the line management do its thing.
Line estimate and current IP profile:
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
BRIGSTOCK
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-05-05 18:56:57
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb

Modem stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:28

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 1,152

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.04 / 17.88

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.3 / 16.8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 17.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 43.7

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0

As mentioned, we cannot run BT wholesale diagnostics on this line due to a persistent error.
Can anyone advise here please? The sync is looking very poor given the line stats
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: mothers broadband - ADSL with only 1meg sync on 17.5dB attenuation?

I have a horrible thought - and this can only be checked by the staff on here tomorrow - your mother has been provisioned on a 1Mb fixed speed product as this would explain the upstream and downstream speeds
Can you post a ticket number from your mother's account so the staff can identify it
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

almost looks like a fixed 1mb
EDIT: same though as the old man.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
plexy
Grafter

Thanks to you both. A provisioning issue would make sense - I know that somehow the broadband was moved over before the line was (which seems backwards to me) and that there was some manual work involved in getting things working.
A ticket from her account is 87322868 - though thats probably not for this problem. its just the only ticket number i could find on her member centre.
plexy
Grafter

As a side note, I have my old plusnet FTTC thomson router here - does anyone know the shell commands to turn this back to a standard ASDL router and i can whip it round tomorrow to rule out a router issue?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

the only way is by reflashing the firmware but whether that would actually work I have no idea
This is where you can get the firmware http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
To be honest I don't think that this is a router problem
picbits
Rising Star

Just double check she's not doing what my mother in law was doing and turning the modem off every time she wasn't using it .......
Also worth trying a new microfilter as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I did notice
Uptime:  0 days, 0:13:28

Why is the up time so short?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
Why is the up time so short?

I doubt it's relevant - the synch rates prove conclusively that the user is on a fixed rate 1Mb connection - most likely a provisioning error.
That doesn't mean the user should not be advised to leave the modem / router powered on at all times, however.
picbits
Rising Star

My mother in law continually turned off her modem / router when not in use and ended up with similar sync speeds. Her line was capable of 18+ Mb speeds but she refused to connect it to the master socket as it was "in the wrong place" and refused to leave it on as it "wasn't safe to do so and cost too much in electricity".
She can be very stubborn when she wants to be ....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To avoid confusion - turning off the router frequently can affect the downstream rate because of banding in the worst case or a high noise margin in a less severe case. But it won't affect the upstream speed to any significant degree as the upstream is never, as far as I know, banded
Note that migration is usually on a like for like basis and the odds are that the line has always been on a fixed rate and BT never updated it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I was puzzled by it not being like for like:
Quote from: plexy
With namesco her sync speed in modem stats was 8meg and her throughput was usually around 6 or 7 meg down.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
I doubt it's relevant - the synch rates prove conclusively that the user is on a fixed rate 1Mb connection - most likely a provisioning error.

There are a rare set of circumstances where 20CN DLM will re-provision a line on a fixed rate product, it happened to SWMBO after Stormageddon 2014.
Although SWMBO was also not provisioned on to Up to 8Mb when she moved from STalkSTalk and was still on a fixed rate 2Mb product after the migration so it could still be either.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi plexy,
I've just had a look into this and I can confirm that this was due to a provisioning error. It seems that the advisor who placed the order hadn't put the order through as Max (Up to 8Mbps). I've placed the order to modify this and it should complete later today.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused to your mother due to this mistake.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Compensation for the degraded service for the last few weeks?
@plexy Once you see it syncing at higher speed you'll need to see the current line speed shown here update before you experience the higher speeds - that will take a little longer. Post or contact Plusnet if it doesn't update within 12 hours.
(Other option Linn would be for you to set it now at around 6Mbps?)