Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modems?

millsdon
Grafter

modems?

Hi,
I've just signed up for plusnet fibre. I've been using a draytek vigor 110 modem which connected to an alix 2D3 pfsense router.
From what I understand, I can still use the pfsense router and just replace the draytek ADSL modem with the one that the engineer supplies on the day.
Is there any special config that needs to be entered in the router eg PPPoE login details etc?
Has anybody else got a similar setup?
Thanks in advance.
regards,
Donna
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: modems?

HI Donna,
Apart from the username and password we supply you there shouldn't be any difference to the set up.
Jojo Smiley
millsdon
Grafter

Thank you. Looking forward to joining Plusnet.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi, I hope ive come to the right forum, if not i'm sure someone will point me in the right direction.
A couple of questions. Is it possible to remove the BT standard modem they supply and get a vdsl dual band modem/router. If it is can anyone suggest a good one for me.
Secondly, can anyone recomend a good dual band router as at the moment my wireless speeds are only half of what they are on ethernet. I;m surrounded by other wi fi users and i'm hoping that by using the 5Mhz i'll not get any interference from them.
Thanks in advance
Tichard
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Although the Fritz!Box 7390 has all the features you want, wi-fi speed is not really one of its strong points (it is dual band just not as fast as its specification would suggest).
If your main requirement is decent wi-fi then look for one of the dual band 'cable routers' that should be compatible with the BT modem (you probably want to make sure it has 'concurrent' dual band as some need to be switched to one or the other).
Some of the Asus dual band N models (e.g. RT-N56U) get good reviews.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.