cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modems for broadband

firefly2
Grafter

modems for broadband

my pc manual shows that the modem I have does not support PABX or lines such as ISDN  or broadband. my dial-up is quite pathetic . If I told you what is currently is you will be in the aisles laughing. has any-one any idea what new modems cost please? desperate to change now thanks . firefly2 Sad
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: modems for broadband

Don't get a modem.
Get a router (many reasons why you should).
A combined Modem/Router could be had for "free" if you have a BBYW account and don't mind being committed for a year.
If you want a wired, then you probably already have a built-in ethernet connectionn. For wireless, either a card or one of those USB "dongle" efforts - although laptops come with both builtin.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

firefly2
Grafter

Re: modems for broadband

I have an integral modem and it says it cannot withstand the voltage levels of digital telephone or lines ISDN OR BROADBAND SERVICES. bit confused what I need. I don't mind signing up for a year and wondered if the package £14.99 might be okay for a start up. under the circumstances, will I need outside help  for fitting to my pc? I will not be able to do it myself. have 7 USB ports but they don't sound suitable  for the modem I have built in. you are a great lot with the help thanks. firefly2 Smiley sorry > what is BBYW? not a great one for the jargon. firefly2