Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(midnight) latency up to old tricks

chrisyoung
Grafter

Re: (midnight) latency up to old tricks

Hi all,
@chrisyoung,
I really can't see any issueswith those pings - 61ms isn;t going to cause any issues, even when gaming.
@slu
Did changing gateways help at all?

i beg to differ. its the unstablity off the pings that is the problem and that was a short test. my pings go up to 150ms day or night every 30sec or so for 3 replys which is strange so i hope that is something going on on my pc ,i will have to figure that one out myself before complaining to much. but the midnight latency is serious and unexcuessable and i repeat it has been going on since the trail started so you cant say there is no issues.
O and now i do not seem to be getting all the bandwidth i should be. my profile is 12000 but my speedtests only show im getting 6000. 
andymurdoch
Grafter

seemed to, although i cant be 100%, things definately improved but it could have been coinciendtal with the 15 mins i wasted trying to fix it - also bear in mind my experiences are not after midnight (was just trying to grab a bit of advice with regards to swiching gw's) Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi guys,
We've more bandwidth scheduled to be lit next week on the 21CN network. Whilst this won't fix the underlying problem it has been known to make things better in the past.
We're also doing some maintenance this afternoon to get some debug info from the gateways that we can send to our vendor for analysis. That should hopefully bring us closer to a long term fix.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

Thanks for the update bob.
Yeah it does improve things when capicty is lit all thoe it only took 2-3 days before the midnight latency was back to its old average again last time
scootie
Grafter

well all that extra capicty is as much use as a chocolate teapot
p.s this issue will no longer be annoying me after friday, so if others are following this thread and bein leaving  me to fight are conner, am affarid this squeaky cog wont be posting any more
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Another 100Mbps of bandwidth lit today Asbo.
Regarding the latency, we've identified what we think is a bug with the QoS on some (possibly all) of the edge routers that's contributing to this problem, although it doesn't affect the 20CN platform in the same way it does 21CN. We've provided our vendore with the relevant info and they're currently trying to simulate the problem in their test labs.
They've advised that they'll be coming back to us with their findings in a few days time. Hopefully the additional bandwidth will help a little. AFAIK, there's another 300Mb to be added between now and mid-January too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scootie
Grafter

cheers for the update, i will still be keeping a close i on this issue (as well as BTw hopefully making changes to the 21cn DLM) if one or both issues have bein sorted before i start looking for an isp to attach to the long length of copper at my new place plusnet could well be in the running
Sprint

@Slu
I was having the same issue as you a few months ago on the same package. Ping times would skyrocket between around 5pm and midnight, which kinda put a dent on my gaming. The solution ended up being "sod it I'll join the 21CN trial and see what happens", and the result was good.
Anyway, I noticed a short while ago that my ping was going a bit haywire just after midnight, then went to bed and forgot. Partially because I don't play games much at that time and partially because I'm a dolt Cheesy
I got reminded today since it just started happening right in the middle of the evening. It's nowhere near as bad as after midnight (which itself is nowhere near as bad as what happened before hopping onto 21CN), but it's still annoying since just one significantly delayed packet can cause a fair bit of interference with time sensitive games.
It's nice to see that steps are being made to sort it out. I can't think of anything to add that someone hasn't already so I'll just lurk for now, but I'll be keeping an eye on the issue and on this topic, ready to provide some motivational badgering should it ever appear that necessary badgery levels aren't being met Smiley
scootie
Grafter

just a flying vist, so dont worrie guys the little ranter isnt back just yet  Smiley
They've advised that they'll be coming back to us with their findings in a few days time

bob is there any update on how the vendors investigation went on the bug found
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There have been a couple of conference calls and they've requested more diagnostic information, we're getting the timescale sorted out for this at the moment and will let you know when it's going to happen.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

[quote=Service Status]
Planned 21CN Maintenance (21CN/ADSL2+) - Friday 18th December 10.00am-Midday
When's this work happening?
Friday morning, 18th December.
What does it affect?
Customers connected on our THN-AG2 21CN hostlink.
How long will it take?
About half an hour.
What does the work involve?
To help with the diagnosis of the recently acknowledged latency problems, we need to perform further testing on the hostlink for THN-AG2.
Is it likely to cause problems?
During the maintenance window some customers connected through THN-AG2 may notice slowdowns.
Is there anything else I need to know?
You can find which gateway you're currently connected to here - http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Kind Regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Support
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
scootie
Grafter

p2p speeds was shocking on thn-ag2 after midnight. before midnight i was running at 70KB/s but as soon as midnight came they droped to 30KB/s and i jumped to pcl-ag04 at bout half 12 as the speeds didnt improve on thn-ag2 but pcl was bang on the money and gave  line speed
Sprint

I just encountered that now. thn-ag2 was going nuts, so I hopped over to pcl-ag04 and it's running perfectly.
Has anything else happened in regard to this yet?
I suppose I'd be pushing my luck to ask if it'll be sorted before the end of the year, so I'll save that question for another 1 day and 21 hours Grin