cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microfilter extension lead

glocal
Rising Star

microfilter extension lead

I need to buy a 2m lead to replace the lead between the microfilter and the master BT socket (ie with a RS11 and a BT plug). It must be that bit of the wiring because currently the microfilter is hanging from the socket high up on the wall and doesn't look good, so I am trying to move it away from the socket. As I see there are straight-through and cross-over cables, some with 4 pins, some with 2. Some of them are sold as fax cables, others as telephone extensions, and others as Sky box leads. Do you know which type is the correct one?
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: microfilter extension lead

Do you run both telephone and broadband from the master socket (i.e. do you have two dangling cables at present)?  If you do not run a telephone from the master socket then you don't need a microfilter there, so you are looking for an extension lead to replace your microfilter (which is not quite the question you asked).  If so, a fax cable has the right connectors but may well use low-grade wiring that could degrade your broadband speed.  All telephony wiring is straight-through so it's only the grade of wiring you have to worry about.
The alternative would be to get a faceplate with the filter built-in.  This would make your master socket stick out another couple of centimetres but would eliminate the dangling box that you find unsightly.  Then you could continue to use the specially-purchase high-quality twisted-pair broadband-grade cable between the master socket and your modem that I presume you are using at present.       
glocal
Rising Star

Thanks, @ReedRichards. These are great ideas, but I run both telephone and broadband from the master socket so, unless I am missing something, I will need a microfilter/splitter. As I understand it, even if I install one of those nice faceplates, I would still need some sort of splitter, which wouldn't look much better than the dangling microfilter. If the faceplate comes with the splitter built-in, I would need a lead for broadband and another one for the telephone.
Replacing that short microfilter to socket lead in my current setup with a longer one seems to me the obvious way. But I remain unsure what type of lead would work as replacement.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A filtered faceplate gives two outputs one for the router and a filtered one for the phone
Anonymous
Not applicable

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: glocal
But I remain unsure what type of lead would work as replacement.

To do as you originally asked you need a lead with a standard (BT) telephone plug on on end and a standard telephone socket on the other end.  That is simply a telephone extension cable.  The problem is that such cables typically use low-grade wiring ill-suited to broadband so your broadband speed might suffer a little.  Don't get one any longer than you actually need. 
glocal
Rising Star

The integrated faceplace would be neat, but there would still be two dangling leads rather than one. An extension cable between the microfilter and the wall socket would be simpler and look better, but even if the extension was of high quality, there would be one more connection impacting on signal quality. That's why I was trying to figure out what sort of longer lead I could use to replace the current lead between the adsl nation XF-1e microfilter and socket. This wouldn't add a connection.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Given that you went to ADSL Nation for your micro-filter, why don't you see what they say about cable http://www.adslnation.com/support/cables.php .  All you want is a normal telephone extension lead but you might want to consider using a better grade of cable.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

In case anyone didn't know, the few cm long cable that connects the XF-1e into a telephone socket can be unplugged from the XF-1e. The cable is a few cm long with a ordinary BT phone plug at one end and a smaller RJ11 plug at the other end.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh, I see.  So perhaps that is why glocal was uncertain about which cable to buy.  But it's probably harder to find a long BT phone plug to RJ11 cable with ADSL-standard wire than it is to find the BT plug to BT socket version I suggested.
glocal
Rising Star

Ah, that's what caused the confusion. Well spotted ejs. I emailed adsl nation earlier today asking if they would recommend a particular type of cable to replace their short cable. Fingers crossed.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Except that I think you asked the wrong question,as I wrote above.  Let's hope they think laterally rather than taking your question too literally.
glocal
Rising Star

On the contrary, I think people misunderstood my question because they didn't read my question literally. My first sentence (including the bid in brackets describing the connectors) explained precisely the situation: 'I need to buy a 2m lead to replace the lead between the microfilter and the master BT socket (ie with a RS11 and a BT plug).' The problem was that most people erroneously assumed all microfilters have a non-detachable cable and that my description couldn't possibly be right. Let's hope they won't read the question laterally.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Then it is you who is not thinking laterally, glocal.  Yes, you could replace a short lead with a long one but you'll likely end up with something designed for a fax machine rather than ADSL.  Or you could keep your short lead and add an extra length of cable which might work out cheaper and better, so don't dismiss that option.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This is the nearest I could find to what I believe is wanted:
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16227&cat=254&page=1
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.