Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

may replace Technicolor TG582n but need recommendations

g4jnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

may replace Technicolor TG582n but need recommendations

I have the Technicolor TG582n which plusnet sent me a good while ago, I have poor download anyway 2.5mb but as our house is up for sale and we have not yet got fibre I'm not planning to get into a new contract at this time, so need to make the best of things.
I have noticed that using my lifeline to my family (whatsapp, Skype etc) really has got worse over these last few months amongst other internet streaming i use (radio ham stuff)
I have to reboot the Technicolor TG582n at least twice a week and afterwards it seems to perform better, so i suspect the router is slowly going down, poor thing really as it gets loads of hammer with all ports taken up with devices (although they are not all on at the same time)
any suggestions please? we used to have an old net gear before but thats well out of date.
7 REPLIES 7
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: may replace Technicolor TG582n but need recommendations

Budget?
g4jnw
Rising Star

about £50
g4jnw
Rising Star

Have also raised a ticket with tech support but doubt they will find anything wrong with the line, am tempted to buy a new wireless router but its not as simple as it used to be - i.e.; when i was first with plusnet it was standard adsl and thats as far as my exchange (kirkbride) has got ohh yes and adsl max, so not sure what would work on the line but would like faster wireless,
What brought this up was my 2 sons, one in australia and one in spain both saying there are always drop outs when we speak on Skype or iMessage or indeed FaceTime
The drop outs got worse and the only fix was to reboot the router, it then worked ok for a while and then got gradually worse.
Thats why i think its the router.
This problem doesn't just happen on one machine as we have an iPad, iPhones connected to a vodafone box (which connects to the router) and a windows laptop, so have ruled out the machines.
Direct connection to the router appears ok, wireless seems to be the issue.
nicktee
Dabbler

£50 or thereabouts will get you an Asus DSL-N16U, a model I've been using for about 9 months now and been very happy with. It's very configurable and will support either ADSL or FTTC connections. It also supports multiple SSIDs which I find useful for guest access.
g4jnw
Rising Star

Thanks for that, will copy the name of the router, a friend has given me a home hub 4 and told me how to get to going on plusnet so will have a go at that during the week and if i can't get it going will check out the one you mention, have just rebooted the router again as I'm having a Skype session with my son in Spain later today, its a real pain.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

a friend has given me a home hub 4 and told me how to get to going on plusnet
Details on how to configure a HH are here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

g4jnw
Rising Star

Just this minute copied that page, great, will set it up mid week hopefully, anything has got to be better than the one I've got!