cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

luxury speed problem

becuma

luxury speed problem

Hi,
We've had the fibre unlimited product for a little while now. The estimated line speed was 71 Meg or something, and the IP Profile according to the BT test is 77 down and 20 up. However, the actual speeds we're getting are nothing like that. They usually are 40/15, as in the screen shot. Obviously this is perfectly workable, and it performs solidly as far as I can tell, so I feel like I'm whingeing a bit, but, shouldn't we be getting a bit more speed than this? I have tried various routers, and whilst some are slower than others, none get above this 40/15. Right after installation there was lots of crackle on the phone line, but that went away after a few hours.
I have opened a ticket. Meanwhile, is there anything I can do here to max it out a bit better (that hopefully does not involve the purchase of frightfully expensive routers  :))?
4 REPLIES 4
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: luxury speed problem

Hi becuma,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the speed of your connection. It might just be worth trying the connection without the router altogether, just by connecting directly to the Openreach Modem. There are some instructions on how to do this <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/">here</a>.
If the speed don't improve, at least we've completely ruled out a router issue, which should make things easier for our Faults Team to investigate with.
becuma

I should have said, I've tried that as well, with a couple of different computers (and cables), but it made no difference. I tried it just now, and it did 30/10.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Ok - that's been completed which is great.
The ticket is with our Faults Team, they'll be back in touch once they've done some further in depth testing on the line for you.
becuma

OK, thank you