Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

<5 mbps in the evenings, lag in some games

F1D
Dabbler

<5 mbps in the evenings, lag in some games

Hey,
I'm getting quite slow speed in the evening peak times (the last couple of days it has been less than 5 mbps most of the time) and this seems to have been going on for a few weeks now. I've also noticed there has been some lag in some online games, primarily Titanfall on Xbox One. Not a huge issue as it comes and goes but just something I thought I would mention.
Just done a speed test now on the BT Wholesale and the results are:
Download 12.01mbps
Upload 13.55mbps
Ping 26.50ms
It's what I'm getting on other speed test sites. I have raised a fault ticket for this (yesterday, the last update was that tests were being run and that this can take up to 24 hours, it's past that now and no update... I know I'm being impatient! Wink Just a bit frustrating when streaming is buffering half the time Sad
So I'm wondering if someone could take a look at this for me? Chris previously responded to a ticket I raised a while back and mentioned there were capacity problems in the area and that BT were doing some work on the VLAN to resolve this, do you know if they completed that? As I mentioned, this slowness and wildness of the thing has been going on for 2-3 weeks. When I first joined Plusnet I had speeds that were always pretty much 60-70mbps which was great and that latest a while.
Don't think any issues with wiring (new flat pretty much) and nothing has changed since it was installed anyway. Let me know if you need to me to post anything else!
Thanks in advance for your help!
8 REPLIES 8
F1D
Dabbler

Re: <5 mbps in the evenings, lag in some games

Doing a speedtest now, I'm getting:
Download 16.23mbps
Upload 19.10mbps
Ping: 8ms
So still an issue during the day, far far below what I used to get.
Thanks Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi F1D,
Thanks for the detailed information. I can confirm that, as far as I can see from the Exchange/VLAN side of things, there isn't a utilisation issue, or not one that our suppliers are aware of.
I assume that all speed tests are done via Ethernet? It can take 48-72 hours for our Faults Team to fully investigate and to get back in touch with you.
F1D
Dabbler

It is yes. I'll do another speed test later tonight when I get home and update here, and look forward to the faults team getting back to me.
Good to know there isn't a utilisation issue!
Thanks for your reply Chris!
F1D
Dabbler

Did a speed test last night and it was back up at 65-70mbps which is the fastest it has been for a while.
I have noticed some Openreach engineers and vans in my street the last day or two so don't know if they did anything to cause or improve this... who knows!
Will keep an eye on it.
F1D
Dabbler

Well looks like the speed is now much faster, regularly hitting 50-60mbps so looks like it is solved. A bit of downtime earlier but think that was also down to BT doing some work in the area (or builders...!)
Just one final question if someone at Plusnet can help... I usually have quite a poor/laggy connection (more so today and yesterday) when playing Titanfall on Xbox One, and also watching Demand 5 (it buffers quite a lot). Doing the speed tests on both browser and console reveal everything to be fine... any ideas what else it could be? Only seems to happen on these two things at the moment. Would be interesting to see how I can pin point what may be causing it.
Cheers!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Does this happen on both services whether you're connected via Wireless or Ethernet?
F1D
Dabbler

Both services are on the Xbox, which is wireless admittedly. I've flipped the wireless channel to one that isn't being used by any other in the area (there are about 20 networks, all on 1 6 or 11) to see if that helps, but I'll also connect it via ethernet and keep an eye on it too see if that improves things. (If I remember correctly it was also happening on Demand 5 on PS4 which is wired... so it might even be there end!).
Thanks for following up Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you get Demand 5 on the PC at all that could be hard wired? I'm just wondering if it's a platform issue or an issue with Demand 5 or a general sort of streaming problem altogether.