cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low speed

psyfy
Dabbler

low speed

Hi could someone take a look at my profile and see if theres anything that can be tweaked, my upload rate is awfull.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:42
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 768 / 5,299
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.36 / 18.33
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 55.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.6 / 0.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 24 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 352
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 5,564
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: low speed

Hi,

That DS SNRM looks grim!  What router are you using?  Have you sough to tamper with the target SNRM?  Can you please do the following...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

psyfy
Dabbler

that is with the tg582n  those stats are c+p from the router.
quiet test is deathly silent with a bt corded phone, the socket is a vdsl mk2 bt openreach.

kind regards
psy

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

TG582n ... can you please post the firmware version.

That excludes one possibility - you are not adjusting the SNRM, that router will not do that!

Please post current (and concurrent) router stats, BT diagnostic speed tests and PlusNet current speeds - use the links above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think that's just the typical poor upstream speed seen with the older type of 21CN equipment (TSTC) operating ADSL2+ (G.992.5) on a long line.

You'll probably get a better upstream speed by changing it to ADSL2. See http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#modulation

Your downstream speed will probably go down if you re-connect the DSL (which will happen when you change the mode) while the SNR margin is as low as that.

(Yes I do know that the upstream frequency range is the same on ADSL2 as it is on ADSL2+. Yet it still makes a difference. It'll probably only get to about 850k upstream though, it's still a long line.)