cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

links to settup email settings

suffering

links to settup email settings

email and webmail questions are continually asked here,
regarding a similar question raised "access email from home" raised 11/12/09 am I correct in the following }
1) if your use outlook/ outlook express you can access "new mail only" when away from home by login into plusnet webmail.
2) if you set "leave copy on server" in outlook/outlook express you could then view all your inbox emails on webmail.
3) if you change your email client settings to imap rather than pop3 it allows you use plusnet webmail as you would outlook at home, i.e. view inbox,send mail and also view sent items etc.
on plusnet email support it states for imap just change settings to}
incoming imap to imap..plus.net
outgoing smtp to relay.plus.net
and this is all you do to change to imap. but then it states further help is to be found in email software documentation whatever that is ?
finally couldn't  a link be used to automate a settup for the email settings?.
other than keeping your original email address, would an alternative be just to open a g mail/ hotmail account.
thanks

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: links to settup email settings

Quote from: suffering
email and webmail questions are continually asked here,
regarding a similar question raised "access email from home" raised 11/12/09 am I correct in the following }
1) if your use outlook/ outlook express you can access "new mail only" when away from home by login into plusnet webmail.

Using it's default POP3 account settings, yes. You would only be able to view email you hadn't already downloaded at home.
2) if you set "leave copy on server" in outlook/outlook express you could then view all your inbox emails on webmail.

Yes, well at least those that were received after you set that option.
3) if you change your email client settings to imap rather than pop3 it allows you use plusnet webmail as you would outlook at home, i.e. view inbox,send mail and also view sent items etc.

It would allow you to see what was currently on the server. I'm not sure how Outlook would behave if you changed the server details of your existing account from POP3 to IMAP. You *might* lose the historic email you already have downloaded.
on plusnet email support it states for imap just change settings to}
incoming imap to imap..plus.net
outgoing smtp to relay.plus.net
and this is all you do to change to imap.

That's right.
but then it states further help is to be found in email software documentation whatever that is ?

That will just be a suggestion in case you need help setting up your email program e.g. refer to the help files.
finally couldn't  a link be used to automate a settup for the email settings?.

It's been thought about but it's not that easy unfortunately. We've had many personas over the years like 'Free Online' and 'Force 9' meaning that not everybodies server settings are the same e.g. Force9 customers would use imap.force9.net as their IMAP server address.
other than keeping your original email address, would an alternative be just to open a g mail/ hotmail account.

You could do that, or alternatively you could register your own domain name and host it with us. That way if you ever wanted to move your email away, you could just point the domain to a new host.
Hope that helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Bob

It would allow you to see what was currently on the server. I'm not sure how Outlook would behave if you changed the server details of your existing account from POP3 to IMAP. You *might* lose the historic email you already have downloaded.

I don't think Outlook allows you to change between POP3 and IMAP for an account.  I think you need to create a new Email Account in Outlook of the new type.  I could be wrong though.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That is correct.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
suffering

well that clears up a few things thank you all.
but i think anyone who desires change to view their emails anywhere would obviously want ALL their past emails available, and the thought of changing the setup and loosing all past emails is a nogo.
so set up a domain you say , would that be the right route for mr average home user receiving just a few emails a day ?. it seems such a simple task is not easily available so it looks like a gradual changover to g. mail. 
itsme
Grafter

Plus Net email service is no different to any other system including g.mail. Both have the option to retrieve email by either POP3 or IMAP, unfortunately must users do not know the difference between them.
To resolve your problem and not to lose any emails you first need to disable your current POP3 accounts, there should be check box to do this or a crude way is to remove the pop3.plus.net server settings. You then create an IMAP account to replace your POP3 accounts. With an IMAP account created you will then be able to generate folders etc. Then any old emails you have downloaded using POP3 can be copied within Outlook from the old POP3 account to the new IMAP account by using drag and drop. Any emails copied within Outlook IMAP accounts will be copied up to the PN server.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another advantage of IMAP is that you can then look at your spam folder which you cant with POP3