cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

links in websites reboot my vista pc

amcclean
Rising Star

links in websites reboot my vista pc

I have a problem in that about once a day when working with some of my websites, php based mostly, that clicking on some of the links crashes my vista pc. The screen goes black then blues then the pc reboots. I have spyware catchers firewalls etc up and everthing is clear.
It happens using wordpress blog software; phbb; and even the cbeebies site ( which I access for my son).
vista is also up to date with pacthes. before anyone says it I don't ant to move to linux.
A
10 REPLIES 10
linux
Grafter

Re: links in websites reboot my vista pc

Have you tried another browser? That might help pinpoint where the problem is, i.e. browser or operating system.
mjtuohy
Grafter

If poss' go back to XP. I have found things work so much better since I went from vista ultiment back to XP. When "bill" releases a service pack I may return to Vista.
amcclean
Rising Star

it happens across browsers and my logs don't show much if anything.

A
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I've not seen this before in Vista, have you downloaded the performance and reliability packs that Microsoft have just released? Don't know if it will help, but worth a try,
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
linux
Grafter

Quote from: amcclean
I have a problem in that about once a day ...

I missed your "once a day" remark; if your problem is not reproducible then I don't think it's necessarily software.
Do you have memory errors? Memory which has worked for years can suddenly fail, causing random intermittent crashes.
This is exactly what happened to my PC earlier this year. After a week or two of crashes I ran a memory test program, and that immediately pinpointed a failing address. So I configured my operating system to avoid that memory, and it completely fixed the problem.
paulby
Grafter

You can find details of Microsoft's performance and reliability packs here.
These should have been installed via Windows Update if you have it running (or if you have done a manual update in the last week or so).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: linux
Quote from: amcclean
I have a problem in that about once a day ...

I missed your "once a day" remark; if your problem is not reproducible then I don't think it's necessarily software.
Do you have memory errors? Memory which has worked for years can suddenly fail, causing random intermittent crashes.

You can use memtest86 to test your RAM for errors.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes good advice.
My first laptop (in the XP days) had a intermittent problem where icons on the screen would appear corrupted. However it got worse and even started to occur when the BIOS startup screen was displayed, so I knew it wasn't just an OS problem.
I downloaded some utility which ran some memory tests and the one which failed was the read/write test to the graphics card memory. Luckily it was under warranty, so I sent it back and they changed the motherboard.
I can't remember what the utility was, or where I got it from (was a few years ago now, and there are probably better ones out now), but I know there are ones which do a read write test to main and graphics card memory, so it's worth a try.
amcclean
Rising Star

Cheers for all the suggestions. I have downloaded the file mentioned and will try them.
The problems only arise when I click on some internet links. They do not occur when using the computer ingeneral.
My broswers are
IE7
Mozzila (latest stable release)
Avant browser (latest stable release)
Vista is upto date with all it's shots/patches
A
God
Grafter

It does sound memory related, mind you that could either be faulty memory or some other problem showing up when you start using more memory.
Are these links just regular links to other pages or might they be links that start active x / java applications, anything that might suddenly start using more memory? Do any of the links you mentioned regularly (even if not always) cause the problem?