Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line speed half what it was .

karlos103
Grafter

line speed half what it was .

Hi
Been having issues since fibre fitted 5 weeks back ,loads of disconnects, especially when it rains heavy… tried different modems and routers ,now been doing tests with unlocked modem .
BT came the other week and could not find a fault but was dry day… 2 hours after he left it rained and had 2 disconnects.
Had few more over the next few days so told plusnet and they informed bt… bt then found a fault on line and supposedly did something… that was sunday… disconnected monday twice so told plusnet again and bt coming out sat morning, but since then only had 1 disconnect but not really had heavy downpour .
Speed is now half what originally had ,now getting 37meg down ,10meg up but used to have around 70 down and 18 up .
Also snr margin used to be around 6db ,now 15db… had a couple of major drops /spikes in line up over last week ,drops of about 8db then back up again.
Line seems stable at mo but not raining ,but line speeds is not brill ,should I let plusnet know it is stable at mo and cancel bt ?
Should I tell them line speed is slow ?
Also interleave was on the other day ,now off .
Any help most appreciated
Karl
9 REPLIES 9
karlos103
Grafter

Re: line speed half what it was .

Forget to say ,over last few days crc error count was at 25500… .since last dsl disconnect yesterday morning its been st 0
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi karlos103,
I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. I can see that our Faults Team have this in hand and have booked an appointment for 22/02/2013 between 8AM-1PM - our Faults Team are just checking back for confirmation that this has been confirmed and they will be in touch.
karlos103
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thanks for the reply… are we still best to get them out if line is stable or best to keep eye on things today and tomorrow to see if disconnects again ? Also what about speed ?
Cheers
Karl Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Karl,
In my opinion, I think we should get the line looked at again if I'm honest. Your line shouldn't be disconnecting when it rains at all, so we need to get that checked out.
There is a chance that the drops you initially had has dropped your speed a little so we may as well investigate the reason for the connection dropping, as well as getting your speeds to the best they can be.
karlos103
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thanks again for getting back to me… I would say 75% of the time when get heavy rain I get disconnects, then after that it may only disconnect a few times then be ok… but think more than a coincidence that these disconnects happen when have heavy rain… soon as dry days are here its fine .
Im hoping we have heavy rain again before sat lol
Karl
karlos103
Grafter

Hi Chris
Well BT been and found a few issues ....sorted them and we now have 72mb download at cable coming into openreach box ....but only had 40mb throughput ...so rang yourselves and found line had been locked at 40mb , so unlocked it and did tests after 10 mins and reboot ...got 72mb throughput on btwholesale speed site .....but bt engineer had to then just do a few more tests so had to unplug cable ...after tests we then only had 40mb again , so rebooted and now have around 59 on bt site ...line is good upto 77 it say .
BT man said we should be getting around the 70 mark so maybe needs resetting your end again ...but just rang through and they said they will monitor things ....why cannot reset again ? first time it cured the issue ...but after disconnects the line speeds dropped ....surely worth a try ???lol
BT site gives red graph for line as underspeed .....
any help most appreciated
Karl
karlos103
Grafter

Just turned box off for 20 mins...rebooted and now back upto 72mb Smiley
karlos103
Grafter

Last night was down to 65mb , even after reboot ...tested again today and still same ...tried turning off for 10 mins but still same .
Guessing line is settling to best speed ?
Ping has doubled from yesterday , was around 10 to 15 .....now 25 - 35 .
Karl
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah - give it a few days without a reboot and see how the speeds fair out.
It's likely the line is still training, so a few days to allow it to settle down and stabilise wouldn't be a bad idea.