Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

level3 routing to US of A

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

level3 routing to US of A

They having problems again? taking 5-6 hops in London to get to the US of A at the moment, usually its 3.  Lately been getting extra latency in a game I play there so wondering if it is linked, that started last week.
attached: First hop with its high ping  yes I know, seems its a Feature of the TG582n to have a higher ping than normal
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: level3 routing to US of A

Hi Gus,
Looking at the results you've posted I can't see anything to worry about,  the total round trip of 104ms for a transatlantic site is more than acceptable.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It is more of the number of hops, usually I see 3 level3 hops, 5 to 6 isn't the norm.  So I'm checking as something changed last week, which isn't affecting the in game ping but it is the latency.  Skipping and rubber banding have gotten worse since last Friday so trying to rule out anything not right.
All the usual checks show nothing wrong other than this, wireshark capture has nothing out of place, pings externally and internally have been fine but the number of hops has changed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That does sound like a routing change, I'm not sure if it's down to work we've done though? Probably a change in the Level3 network that's caused it.