cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep disconnecting every 10 mins

reece251
Grafter

keep disconnecting every 10 mins

so ive just gone live and my internet keeps dropping every so often and the only way to get it back on is by rebooting the router through the gui. its a netgear router and im using wireless on adsl. Only just got up and running so its annoying it keeps dropping. any tips?
18 REPLIES 18
reece251
Grafter

Re: keep disconnecting every 10 mins

I've just been advised that it's because of the training period is this true? Has anyone else experienced frequent disconnections during the training period
scoobydoo1
Grafter

are you using wireless, or wired? if wireless turn it off, n just use wired, see if that helps
reece251
Grafter

I've found out that the wireless kept dropping every so often but wired is Ok iI do need wireless for my other devices tho. The adsl and Internet lights stay on but I just cannot access the Internet even tho I am connected wirelessley to the router
kirk
Grafter

Try changing your wireless channel. To do this:
Log in to the modem router at its default LAN address of http://192.168.0.1 with its default user name of admin and default password of password, or using whatever LAN address and password you have set up. Select the Wireless Settings in the main menu. The Wireless Settings screen displays. Then you should be able to change the wireless channel.
Give that a go and see if it resolves the issue.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi reece251,
What's the model of your Netgear Router?
reece251
Grafter

It's a netgear dgn1000
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That router should be fine.
I would certainly wait for the 10 day training period to end. This will allow your connection time to settle in and stabilise. If you're having problems primarily with wireless, it might be worth looking to see if you have any updates for your Wireless Card (Please see your Wireless Card manufacturer's website for further information on this.)
If this is up to date, are you able to change the Wireless Channel, as kirk as suggested?
reece251
Grafter

Everything's up to date the trouble is I stay connected to the router so on all my devices it shows as connected to my router but Ijust ccan't access the Internet after 10 mins. I have changed to wireless channel 6 and need to wait an hour to see if the connection holds
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok. Let me know how you get on. Fingers crossed the change in wireless channel should do the trick.
reece251
Grafter

This is the longest it's been connected via wireless but I'm not signing and dancing yet =p thanks for the amazing support as well chris
kirk
Grafter

Hopefully the wireless connection will hold now you have changed the wireless channel  Smiley
reece251
Grafter

its coming up to an hour now and everythings holding. thanks kirk and chris. I do wonder what was interfering with my router
reece251
Grafter

how the hell am i getting at least 1mb download speed when downloading. im really suprised with my speed to be honest. thats a nice suprise i thought it was going to be a useless download speed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That sounds about right, given the speed estimate for your line.