cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just switched :D already on hunt for new router

amatthews45

just switched :D already on hunt for new router

hello everyone i just switched over from sky fiber to plus net fiber

but i am already on the hunt for a new router not a fan of the ulgy white thing they gave me its the Technicolor one.
my speeds are hitting anything from 71mb - 75mb via wired connection but 30-40mb on wireless devices but seems the signal is poor
doing a quick google two results come up either the ASUS or the TP link.
tbh i prefer the look and price of the TP link but seems people need bit more fettling with this router to work.
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN56U/
http://www.tplink.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1043ND#spec

can people confirm that either one of these routers just replace my techinicolour router and just plug into my open reach box?
i assume i fettle with the settings and boom i am connected using just two boxes and not 3??
any other solutions for better wifi signal please?

i am a noobie but i do understand basic instructions so any help advice ect would be greatfull.
Alex
6 REPLIES 6
markm9
Grafter

Re: just switched :D already on hunt for new router

amatthews45,
I have Asus RT-N56U, using with padavan firmware, solid router, all i had to do to connect to PN Fibre was plug router into BT Modem, and run asus wizard, i had to input my PN username anybody@plusdsl.net, and also my password which i use to log into my PN Account, set my ssid for both 2.4 and 5 ghz, also seperate passwords for both, and security set to wap2-personal, and that was it, took about 10 mins.
Cant comment on TP Link, but i believe it is a solid router Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Alex,
We know not eveyone is a fan of our router. Just wondering if there was anything else in particular about it you didn't get on with or is it just more about the look of it?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I use a netgear N750, best router I've ever had!
leader
Grafter

Unlocked Openreach Modem ---> Router running Merlin{asus} /Tomato/Gargoyle/Openwrt   = Least hassle FTTC  Wink
amatthews45

the main reason is wifi poor only get 10mb on laptops and such
what's the easiest swap router please?? i am ok with tech i just like simple now

thanks
alex
Mandoo
Dabbler

Did you make a decision Alex?
I've just switched to fibre this week and my Technicolor router is pretty poor. I get a solid 40mb ish using a wired connection, 35mb ish sitting right beside it using wireless, but by around 6 metres away the speed drops down to around 10mb.