cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just moved to plus net and now terrible speeds and high disconnects.

technonath
Grafter

just moved to plus net and now terrible speeds and high disconnects.

I have just moved to plus net and now get terrible speeds and high disconnects. I am using the brand new supplied router, new microfilter etc. I can see it keeps saying DSL disconnected. here is the debugging info:-

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name:
Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:
---
3 - Firmware version:
7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version:
F@ST2704N
5 - Mode
ADSL
6 - Uptime:
0 days 06:30:55
7 - Data rate:
1095/7584
8 - Maximum data rate:
1100/7996
9 - Noise margin:
5.5/7.1
10 - Line attenuation:
27.0/46.5
12 - Data sent/received:
1.5G/1.4G
20 - Broadband username:
ram.......@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:
------
22 - Wi-Fi connections:
Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security:
WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel:
Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall:
26 - MAC Address:
----
27 - Software variant
Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader:

Wholesale test results:-

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

1.77 Mbps

0 Mbps
7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.77 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 6.69 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.1 Mbps

0 Mbps
0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.1Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

please help me ASAP.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: just moved to plus net and now terrible speeds and high disconnects.

Assuming item 7 is the sync rate that's fine and the snr looks ok so I don't think your problem is DSL but probably WIFI. Do you have an Ethernet cable so you can directly connect your PC to the router via Ethernet and remove WIFI from the test path ?

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
technonath
Grafter

I don't think it is the wifi, because the when you go to the router home page, it keeps showing dsl not connected and tehn going back to connected.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We aren't seeing any drops since you connected the router up.

image14728047348010

What does the DSL uptime in the router show?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
technonath
Grafter

Thank you for responding Matthew,

is the dsl uptime the same as the uptime I provided in the first post?

Any other suggestions then why it is performing so poorly ?

even on my mobile the speeds are bad.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Yes it is the same.

Can you try a wired connection to see if that's any better?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

12 - Data sent/received:
1.5G/1.4G

If those figures are being reported correctly by the router then that looks strange! Why so much upstream data ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

technonath
Grafter

My guess is that it is Google photos backing up from mine and my wifes mobiles.

Maybe this is the issue then, we left sky because every time we uploaded a file to Google drive or while our mobiles were backing up photos, we were unable to surf the internet from any device.   I just put this down to the sky hub as many others had reported the same issue before on their forums with no resolution other than to use a different router (not something sky generally let you do). I just thought the problem would go away when I switched to plusnet and used their new router.  So I didn't even think that this might be a factor.

Maybe there is some ongoing issue here then on our adsl profile or line where upstream traffic swamps download traffic completley ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yep, that might explain it. The problem is that if you saturate the upstream then you can affect downtream thoughput as well. Downstream data must be 'acknowledged' every so often before more data can be sent and if the upstream is swamped then these ack's are delayed and thus the effective downstream speed is also reduced.

Having said that, it shouldn't (in itself!) be causing disconnects , merely a slowdown.

Can you possibly stop the google photo backup for a while and see if it stops the problems ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

technonath
Grafter

@MisterW wrote:

Having said that, it shouldn't (in itself!) be causing disconnects , merely a slowdown.

Can you possibly stop the google photo backup for a while and see if it stops the problems ?

I wonder if the router home page was lying to me and there were no actual dsl disconnects, because the uptime shown and what Matthew posted seem to show that there haven't been any.

I am not currently at home at the moment to try disabling the uploads, (they have probably finished by now anyway).

Just done some reading up on the subject ....

The TCP protocol, which most Internet traffic uses, uses a "sliding window" scheme to provide reliability. This means it will only send new contents (slide the window) when it receives the ACK messages indicating that part or whole of the current window has been received completely. So it requires frequent ACK messages to be send in the uplink for your download traffic to go through smoothly If the ACK messages are delayed or lost, the sender may slow down transmission and/or retransmit packets that you have already received.

By default, packets are transmitted by the OS in the order they are generated by the applications, so the ACK packets are interleaved with your upload traffic randomly. Your ISP (or your network device) controls your bandwidth use by delaying packets when your transmission speed exceeds the limit (aka throttling). This delay can happen on any packet including the delay-sensitive ACK packets.

----------------------------------

If this is the case, is there any upload throttling that can be done on the router to stop it swamping all the available bandwidth ? I have no control over the phones bandwidth usage to throttle them.

Thanks for your posts here so far...

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you are able to set bandwidth controls in your router, then you could apply limits to uploads from you mobiles and enable/disable the control as needed.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
technonath
Grafter

@PeeGee wrote:

If you are able to set bandwidth controls in your router, then you could apply limits to uploads from you mobiles and enable/disable the control as needed.

That's what I am asking, can this be done on the plusnet routers ?

P.S. here is a link to the original problem on sky's forums. http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Downloading-stops-when-uploading/td-p/1961752

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I very much doubt if the PN supplied 2704N has any bandwidth(QoS) controlsSad

technonath
Grafter

Surely there are other people in this scenario on plusnet too ?

Especially as so many people reported it on sky http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Downloading-stops-when-uploading/td-p/1961752

technonath
Grafter

Still searching for answers - is it related to WMM ( https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/Does-Plusnet-cap-Steam-downloads/td-p/1036018 ) or does that not apply on my router ?