Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this slow?

apepp
Grafter

is this slow?

Hello!
just joined plusnet and the 6th september was switched over from a previous ISP (was with them for 8 years on static ip)...
...1am here and testing a 29.5mb download, and it is crawling, attached screen shot...
...browsing however seems fairly snappy'ish though, iplayer streams OK'ish (but have had the "not enough bandwidth" BBC error message, never had that before), but does fluctuate...thinking this might be due to the 10 day period...
...what's the difference between plusnet using the same BT exchange from another ISP down the same distance?
...same exchange being used, same hardware (http://support.netgear.com/product/DGND3300v2), same house, same (10th century phone line) but am sure it has been faster more consistent with previous ISP through the same exchange...
...downloading just doesn't seem right to me for 30mb file taking a lot longer than before, exchange is ADSL2+ enabled...BT IP profile says I am on 6.42 Mbps...
thanks!
Andrew
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: RIght..got the file, eventually...a good 14minutes...didn't get much above 20k speed...it's just not ticking over like it use to, (it's all Virgin in Exeter, so there aren't many plusnetters here in Exeter I expect):
20 KB/sec * 8 = 160 kbps
2am now, dropped to 15kb.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.netindex.com/download/2,78/Japan/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Japan
http://www.netindex.com/download/2,4/United-Kingdom/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
-------------------------------
Phone exchange:
   EXETER
Estimated line speed:
   5Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2012-08-29 01:08:06
Current line speed:
   21 Mb
-------------------------------
14 REPLIES 14
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: is this slow?

Your speed in downloading one particular file can be limited by the server at the other end or a bottleneck en-route, but overall I find your results a bit odd.         
You have 49dB of attenuation so your sync rate of 7279 kbps is amazingly fast.  According to the calculator here. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php you should be syncing at around 5500 kbps with a normal target noise margin of 6dB. 
The throttle applied by Plusnet, your "current line speed" of 21 Mbps, is all wrong; it does not seem to have been set by Plusnet yet.
The throttle applied by BT of 6.42 Mbps seems right for your sync rate.
And your speed tests fall far short of your IP Profile.  You don't report the result of the BT speed test that told you your IP profile.
ISPs use your 10-day training period as an opportunity to take a holiday from tech. support so you'll have to wait until that finishes before Plusnet will intervene. 
apepp
Grafter

...thanks for reply ReedRichards!
...i'll keep an eye on it!
Cool
Your speed in downloading one particular file can be limited by the server at the other end or a bottleneck en-route

...sure, totally agree, however the server in question for this 30mb file has never in 8 years been transferring files at 15kb/s - 20kb/s on an "up to" 16mb line or 8mb line (even at 6pm), it's a dedicated rackspace server (http://www.rackspace.co.uk).
...BT has never really changed much from this:
================
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.74 Mbps
================
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
================
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi apepp,
Welcome to the community forum Smiley
Your current download speeds are correct, your IP profile is now matching the BT one. If you have any issues with this then please let me know.
Chris
apepp
Grafter

Hello Chris!
Thank you for reply...sure, will let you know!
All is good at the moment now...I just have ISP paranoia after a switch from an 8 year stint with previous one!
Crazy
Thanks!
Andrew
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

haha, well I'm sure we can help cure that  Cool
Keep me in the loop, and if anything changes, be sure to let me know.
Chris
apepp
Grafter

Hello fellow Plusnetters!
OK...it is now day 10 of switch over from previous ISP...1am now...and like many others have experienced BBC iPlayer streaming is not consistent. So at the moment the stream quality is nothing like that of previous consistency as on my previous BT IP profile on the same exchange with the previous ISP, getting TV - HD @ 3500 was not a problem at any time of the day. Attached current quality in screen grab, it's just not consistent.
Did a reconnect on router but just before that have notice the noise margin has dropped:
Noise Margin 0.4 db
...the reconnect says the same approx. low noise margin right now at 0.8db...don't understand why this might be, usually a steady 5db to 6db i think (off the top of my head).
=========
edit:
just rebooted and noise margin now at 3.7db approx:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7645 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.0 db 27.7 db
Noise Margin 3.8 db 22.3 db
=========
...the other noticable issue is that speedtest.net has never provided a line quality result at grade D, it has always been at Grade A on previous ISP.
...i also assume the location feedback on speedtest.net changes due to having a dynamic IP address (as opposed to a static ip)...it certainly never says I'm in Exeter that is for sure, might be London...usually it's Sheffield...might be why it says Grade D line quality.

...so current conclusions are that, although browsing may be fine, iPlayer streaming isn't consistent...the noise margin has dropped for some reason...download slightly better now, but again not the consistency it used to be (prior to move was pretty consistent 500 to 650kb/secs at any time), this currently fluctuates rather than being steady and consistent, much like the streaming is (as per attached).
...so with downloading and streaming it feels a bit drip fed generally at times on average, rather than the steadiness from previous ISP through the same BT exchange on same BT IP profile, same ethernet router hardware on same phone line.
...that's about all feedback on my transitional experience for now!
thanks!
Andrew
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You should be targeting a 6dB noise margin by default.  You ought to watch how your noise varies over time by downloading a program called Routerstats Lite and running it on your computer http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/betatesters.htm ; If there is too much noise on your line then many packets will require retransmission and so you practical speed will drop - although it's more normal for your router to completely lose sync under those circumstances.
apepp
Grafter

...thanks for info ReedRichards!
...i will check the tool out for noise margin.
...it's back up to 6db today...i guess that if this value does drop off a lot then we're talking about replacing wiring somewhere in the chain.
...of course the chain i am on is probably around 3km in a roundabout fashion...no telling what quality is between here and there.
...i need to move my house about 1.5km further up the road (stick it on the local park up the road will do), get my own cable poles set up in a beautifully straight line or have BT route me differently.
Roll_eyes
...i'll keep and eye on it!
Cool
thanks!
Andrew
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had a look over your connection and over the past few days your noise appears to have settled down.
Keep me updated on how it's performing and if you need any help please let me know.
Chris
apepp
Grafter

Hello Chris (and fellow plusnetters from the world of plus!)
...is it possible to have my upload uncapped/adjusted?
..i have the feeling it is set on to a default capped mode...
...however as my exchange here in Exeter is 21CN enabled I believe the upload is not what is was set to with previous ISP (when they upgraded the service a few years back to be on 21CN).
...at the moment it is wobbling around 0.30kbs, but i'm pretty sure this was approx. double that through the same exchange previously which has me wandering about a cap being in place at this present time.
Many thanks in advance!
Andrew
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just raised an order to uncap the upstream for you. It was set by default to 448kbps. The order should complete tomorrow so let us know how things go with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
apepp
Grafter

Hello Adam,
Smashing!!!
I will keep an eye out!
Cool
...thanks for reply!
Andrew
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
apepp
Grafter

Hello Adam (and fellow plusnetters from the world of plus!),
Perfectly as informed the upstream has now been modified by the exchange...
...and all is very well indeed, so I have nothing to report!
Many thanks for all the assistance provided!
Smiley
Andrew