Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iplayer usage

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

iplayer usage

I would be interested in PN's view on this and how its likely to affect pricing in the near future
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/iplayer_isps_broke/
Paul
5 REPLIES 5
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: iplayer usage

As all of the Plusnet packages are effectively PAYG, I can't see how this will have any ramifications to their pricing model at all.
I do see some of the bigger ISP's altering their pricing model somewhat.
Dave's Blog Post outlines some of the trends that have been seen so far.
B.
LiamM
Grafter

It's the ISPs who offer "Unlimited" that will really come unstick.  Even now customers of Tiscali / TalkTalk etc.. etc.. are suffering poor speeds and very harsh management on applications like iPlayer.
Virgin Media manage customers who use a certain amount of traffic within a certain timeframe.  I much prefer the PlusNet model, personally.
Of course, it will drive up average usage - but PlusNet will recoup some of the costs from customers adding extra usage to their products. ISPs who offer headline-grabbing "Unlimited" deals can't do that, so an already dry supply of bandwidth will become even dryer!
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well lets hope PN will be Ok, the other thing that worry's me rather is the extra loading at a more local level, exchanges etc.
I've never used the iPlayer but to my mind it seems to be putting unnecessary load on the internet when there are other means available to get the same result. Video recorders/PVR's  are available at a reasonable price and the way TV programmes are repeated I wouldn't have thought there was much excuse to miss a programme.
Still I suppose its here to stay so thats that.
Paul
Firejack
Grafter

For me I personally cannot comprehend how we are in this situation... still. The iPlayer style method of content delivery will become the norm. It is up to those in charge of the Internet infrastructure in this country to improve the capacity. The technology is there for faster backbone connections. We just need to start using them.
Half the money I pay Plusnet each month goes to BTwholesale. Now I'd love to know what has happened to that money as its over £700 BTwholesale would of received for providing my Broadband Internet connection alone and yet I see no improvement whatsoever in the Internet infrastructure in my local area.
Later this year we might start getting ADSL2+ from BTwholesale under the 21CN rollout. Which on paper sounds great. In reality for me its going to mean I see no improvements in speed as I'm too far from the exchange to benefit from ADSL2+.
Plus the negative trend of my average usage increasing as my average download allowance remains virtually flat lined will continue. Because of a lack of capacity by BTwholesale who haven't invested in providing bigger central pipes for ISP's yet Sad
Firejack
Grafter

Quote from: Firejack
.....The iPlayer style method of content delivery will become the norm. ...
Seems I can predict the future! BBC News has an article about P2P Next. Which is being researched as a possible Peer-to-Peer content delivery system for all TV channels across the whole of Europe using the Internet.  Shocked
I can already hear Dave T crying at the prospect of having to write a Blog about the potential impact that would have. Wink