cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iplayer and Sky Anytime unusable on unlimited fibre :(

ttgas

iplayer and Sky Anytime unusable on unlimited fibre :(

Hi
After a pretty good initial opinion of Plusnet Ive just enabled my Sky modem and its not good any more!
When I signed up I took heed of traffic management and mistakenly thought that "gold" for downloads and streaming would be sufficient for my superfast fibre connection
Well it absolutely isnt Im afraid to say
My latest download is a 800MB 25 minute TV show - I started 4h ago and its still only half way through
Ive had several failed attempts to get past 1% on HD movies
Have I been unlucky or is this the norm?
Like I said I had thought that "gold" service would have been sufficient
Thanks
PS Im on day 33 so therefore past the cooling off period
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: iplayer and Sky Anytime unusable on unlimited fibre :(

Hi ttgas,
I'm sorry to hear that your download speeds have plummeted so much.
You say that you've enabled your Sky Modem? Is that the Sky Anytime box? Are you (or anyone else) doing anything else on the Internet whilst you're downloading?
What speeds do you normally get and what speeds are you seeing now, without any other devices connected?
rja
Grafter

Not much help I know but I can confirm that both those services work perfectly on my unlimited fibre.
How is your sky box connected to the router? I use a power line adapter and had to try a couple before I got a brand that worked. I hear wireless can be tricky as well.
njay
Grafter

Something is definately amiss
My SkyHD box has a tp-link 702n nano router connected to it. I use this to download wirelessly from my Asus u66n router attached to the OR Modem and on my unlimited fibre connection it normally downloads at about 20-30Mbs which for a On demand 800Mb film means it typically takes about 4-6mins. Not that I have tried but I would assume it would be even quicker on our 2nd SkyHD box as that's wired into the Asus directly so should get the full 70Mps plus that I am lucky to get on Fibre.
I have't tried Iplayer vis SkyHD Box on fibre but I used to use it on occasions when previously on PlusNet ADSL2+ servuice and that played SD fine over wireless as typically got about 2-3Mbs rate.
hth

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'd try from the box that's wired to the router if I were you. If that doesn't exhibit the same problems then it points to something other than the Internet connection itself.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulg123
Grafter

I found out that the iPlayer uses peer to peer correct me if I'm wrong so does that mean because p2p is classed as bronze on traffic management that it will always perform bad compared to other things that are gold/titanium etc? Although its mentioned that pro add on isn't really of any use to people on the newer unlimited service I see that p2p is gold on pro add on so will it still be worth it for better p2p performance? A game I play called dayz is p2p too
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We'll attempt to identify the application, rather than the method of communication.  IPlayer and Dayz should be fine, but if you are having problems with it, let us know.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
rja
Grafter

iPlayer hasn't used peer to peer for at least the last four years. It's all direct streaming or download from distribution partners these days.