Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip profile dropped.

Griff7520
Grafter

ip profile dropped.

Hi
I have spoken to 6 different customer service people at Plusnet to try and rectify this issue but to be totally honest none of them were any help what so ever. I have had a decent download speed for 2 years and have allways got close to 1.7/8 meg...max is 2meg on my line and I know i should allways get below the max but all things considered I have been happy with a 1.7 download speed.
At the moment i am getting just about 1 meg download speeds. After doing several bt line tests it seems my ip profile is set at 1250.....in the past it has been considerably higher. I have asked several times to get my ip profile put back but plusnet say it is a BT issue as they set the ip profile for my line. Last night i spoke to BT and they have told me all I have to do is ask Plusnet to contact BT wholesale and ask them to raise my ip profile
below is my latest BT line test result
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1088 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2944 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
I was hoping that by posting this problem here someone would be able to help me but reading the other posts from plusnet users about the same problem I am not going to hold my breath.
But if anyone is here who is willing to try and solve this problem please do so.

I am connected directly to the master socket and have tried all the remedies suggested by Plusnet support but nothing has helped. Even tried a new router. They told me that my speed should go up after 72 hrs if i left my router on but it has stayed the same and ip profile is steady at 1250.
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE PUT IT BACK UP
thanks.
38 REPLIES 38
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: ip profile dropped.

The fact is your IP Profile is set by automated equipment in the telephone exchange.  Neither BT nor Plusnet can change it.  If this equipment perceived your line as unstable for a while it will have reduced your IP Profile.  If the line is now stable again then the equipment should raise the IP Profile again after 72 hours, or it could be after 400 hours depending on quite what happened.
What Plusnet can do is reset your line back to its initial training period so any bad past history is forgotten.  But this is pointless unless your line is now stable - I think Plusnet ask for 72 hours of stability before they will reset the line (or ask BT to reset the line). 
Griff7520
Grafter

The line has been stable for 6 days but still the profile is at 1250....does anybody on support at plusnet know what they are talking about.....I have had so many different explanations/excuses over the past 2 weeks its unbelievable. I do not understand why this problem has occured when for months i have had no problems what so ever and never lost connection. This has only happened since i changed my package at the beginning of July.
For some reason my speed dropped from 2 meg to 1 meg and no one at plusnet has been able to explainn why.
and as for this
"What Plusnet can do is reset your line back to its initial training period so any bad past history is forgotten.  But this is pointless unless your line is now stable - I think Plusnet ask for 72 hours of stability before they will reset the line (or ask BT to reset the line).  "
If this is possible then why have they not done this....I have spoken to 2 people about this issue since the 72 hr window expired and during that 72 hrs my profile never moved from 1250 and downloads was pretty much constant at 1180kbps. If that isnt stable then I dont know what is.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

"Stable" does not mean that your profile doesn't change, it means that the line does not lose sync.  Plusnet's equipment logs this so they should know.  If your sync rate has been 2944 for 6 days then your IP profile is stuck (that happened to me once).  If so, you need to ask Plusnet to ask BT to unstick it for you.  Either your line hasn't been as stable as you imagine or the Plusnet staff you spoke to failed to spot your stuck IP Profile.  Hopefully the staff who monitor the forum will be able to take some action to resolve this.     
Griff7520
Grafter

I have asked them to speak to BT....they say they can not do anything about it because it is set by BT at the exchange.....BT however say that it is a simple case of Plusnet getting in touch with them
and they wll then do it....but they wont do it unless Plusnet ask them......

So if there are any plusnet techies looking at this can you please get in touch with BT and get my profile back up to what it should be
THX
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Griff7520
The line has been stable for 6 days but still the profile is at 1250....

Really? That's not what it looks like from here:
Session Started	Session Ended	Session Duration
16:51 14/Jul/2011 N/A   16:9:24 (on going)
21:53 13/Jul/2011 16:51 14/Jul/2011   18:57:15
21:28 13/Jul/2011 21:53 13/Jul/2011   0:25:15
21:20 13/Jul/2011 21:28 13/Jul/2011   0:7:45
21:09 13/Jul/2011 21:20 13/Jul/2011   0:11:17
08:15 08/Jul/2011 21:08 13/Jul/2011 5 Days, 12:53:10

Quote from: Griff7520
Does anybody on support at plusnet know what they are talking about.....I have had so many different explanations/excuses over the past 2 weeks its unbelievable. I do not understand why this problem has occured when for months i have had no problems what so ever and never lost connection. This has only happened since i changed my package at the beginning of July.

The package change will have nothing to do with it. The reason your IP profile is 1250kbps is because your connection has been dropping and the sync speed fluctuating. The last two updates to BT's DLM systems were after the following sync events:
13/07/2011 21:23:47 1152kbps
13/07/2011 22:08:41 1440kbps

Your downstream SNR is set to 12db so I could probably squeeze another 1500kbps out of your sync speed by resettign the ten day training period. This probably isn't a good idea though as it would sacrifice the stability of your line (which judging by the above RADIUS log entries is not great at the moment).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Griff7520
Grafter

When I said the line had been stable for 6 days....that was from when I phoned up last Thursday  up untill I phoned back again after waiting the 5 days, which was Tuesday night I think, which is how long the plusnet techie told me to wait before phoning back.
In that 5 days the line was tested every day with a bt line test and the results were similar if not the same....that is what I meant about it being stable.
When I phoned back on Tuesday I was told to try a different router if I had one available...I was also asked to try it in the test socket.....I havn't actually got a test socket but while i was doing all these things I had to switch the router off....so obviously that is probably the loss of connection you have seen.
At the end of the day all I want is to get the max possible download speed I can.....is that to much to ask
thx
Griff7520
Grafter

these are my router stats aas off 17.42 today....is there anything you can see thaat may help this issue
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 20:01:19
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,760
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 53.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 21.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 34 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 58
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22

dick:green Post tidied up for clarity.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your downstream SN Margin at the time you posted was 21.0dB. Bob said earlier your target value was 12dB. Assuming your stats still show a similar SN Margin, if you restart the router (using the Restart my Thomson Gateway task at the bottom of the Thomson Gateway page), you should see a significant increase in sync/bandwidth speed. Note however it could take 2-3 days for your IP Profile to update so you see faster speeds on speed tests.
David
Griff7520
Grafter

ok....restarted my router and it is now reading as follows
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:02
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  448 / 2,816
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 53.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
jim:green formatting fixed to make it clearer mod:end
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That's better, but your target noise margin appears to be 15 rather than 12dB. I think the best you can do now is wait for the IP Profile to catch up. Assuming your connection remains solid over the weekend (no further disconnections at all). Plusnet might try a training reset on Monday. This should give increased speeds (unless there are lots of errors - do you have interleaving turned off? - or disconnections, which could cause the target noise margin to increase again).
When posting router stats it would help if you remove spacing between the lines - avoiding the need for moderator action.
David
David
Griff7520
Grafter

will wait a couple of days and see what happens.....I just dont understand why the download speed has dropped....before the 1st of this month i was getting 1650 to 1700 download speeds....now its stuck at 1180.....maybe it is a coincidence that it dropped when the new package came into effect but on first thought it seemed that plusnet had dropped the speed. hence my frustration in my earlier posts.
Interleaving is turned off by the way.....as for plusnet doing a training reset...will they do this automatically or will I have to phone them and ask
thx
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your IP Profile is 1250kbps because, according to Bob, your router synced with the exchange at 1440kbps on 13/07/2011 at 22:08
Quote from: Bob
13/07/2011 21:23:47 1152kbps
13/07/2011 22:08:41 1440kbps

However on that evidence I'm surprised it isn't 1000kbps (from the 1152kbps sync). Perhaps, as you have suggested, your IP Profile really is stuck. However now your sync speed is 2816kbps your IP Profile should increase to 2000kbps in 2-3 days. In the meantime avoid initiating any router restarts - if the connection drops itself that perhaps will point to a fault (there should be a PPP drop (connection to Plusnet) when/if your IP Profile changes).
When the Digital Care Team (who monitor the forums) are back in on Monday I expect they will pick up this topic again, and if it seems appropriate initiate a training reset, though they are likely to ask you to confirm before they do. No need to phone.
I know you are suspicious that the product change has caused the onset of this problem. However your sync speed is negotiated between you and the exchange, and just needs to know you are on a ADSLmax service. That won't have changed. It has to be coincidence.
David
David
Griff7520
Grafter

Morning all
Did a speed test at 7.45am and saw no change. profile was still at 1250
Did another test at 8.30 and download speed was 1908 kbs....an improvement of 800kbps.
Did a BT speed test and here are the results
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1804 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2816 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

A big improvement and closer to the speeds i used to get a month ago.

Don't know whats happening but hopefully things are being sorted out  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Griff7520, I know you find it difficult to believe, but what happened is exactly what you were told here would happen.  Your line has now been stable for long enough for your IP Profile to be automatically increased.