cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet keeps cutting out

silverfinch
Grafter

internet keeps cutting out

Hello folks, have not been back since first query back in March after first going on line. to be honest I couldn't remember how I did it Embarrassed Just wondered if I am doing something else wrong as my internet connection has started cutting out each time I use it now - sometimes 3 times per session. PlusNet fix pops up and tells me every time to turn off my router and restart it which is a bit of a pain. Luckily, as I had to give up work I am rarely in a hurry but it is annoying. Router is plugged into main phone line and the wire that comes with it wont reach into another room by the way (in case tht would help with reception). god I sound like I am talking about a transistor radio now Grin 
16 REPLIES 16
silverfinch
Grafter

Re: internet keeps cutting out

I am not sure I am doing anything right here - think I found replies by mistake - going to pose a question as how to find replies. Apart from that I am a 61 year old idiot and don't have a clue what you are all talking about, will just have to keep restarting that old router. I have never touched a home computer before, well not with internet connection, still have a desktop that we used as a 'posh' typewriter  Sad I think I had better leave forums alone, you are ALL far to clever for us new to the internet. Thank you all anyway - don't think I shall be bothering you again. Maybe try chit chat next time (if I can work out how to find answers!!!
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

No, you're in the right place.  Wink
It may take some time to get replies over the weekend, people busy and all.
Anyway, you mentioned a pop up telling you to turn off and restart the modem? Could that possibly be 'PlusNet Assist' installed on your computer? If so is the Internet connection actually down (i.e. either red LED on router or constant flashing of the 'DSL' LED)?
Other things for you to mention is the make and model of your modem & maybe what OS (eg Windows 7) you have on your computer.
Oh and don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand, people are here to help you if they can, not to belittle you in some way.
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

Hello RPMozley, thank you for your reply. Smiley Yes it is plusnet fix that pops up (over & over again)! Would you believe it has not happened once today. The modem is the one plusnet sent to me,Technicolour?. My computer has Windows 7   installed and default browser is IE & I tend to use igoogle which is where my most oft used favourites are. As you can see, I did manage to work out where replies appear ::)Goodness me, it's all a new language this computer lark. Glad I at least learned how to use email before I left work. Also I don't find Microsoft forums at all easy to use, as you can see, as finding my way around this one though. Sorry, forgot to answer about if anything is red or flashing, no it all looks normal when I loose the connection.
Regards
thomasjc1
Grafter

so is your pc wired or wireless
silverfinch
Grafter

it is a wireless Toshiba laptop
RPMozley
Pro

Well from the sound of things it would seem PlusNet Assist is not behaving itself. The next time it pops up a warning maybe you can try to ignore it and see if you can still connect to google or wherever you were before the pop up.
If you can still browse around (or surf) without problems then it might be advisable to uninstall the PlusNet Assist program, as clearly it's not assisting you much.  Wink
To do this open the Control Panel and select Uninstall Programs (or words similar to that) - then look through the list of programs for PlusNet Assist, click the Uninstall button and follow the instructions.
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

No I don't think it is that, I just don't realise it has gone off until, where I am searching, suddenly says sorry we cannot connect to that page. Then fix pops up, when I look at the router everything is green and looks ok. Sorry about delay there was no reply button, realised I had 'timed out'. By the by, what is it with the timing on this, it is saying 22.59! Just curious. Logging off for now @ 8.26 (22.26)!!!
thomasjc1
Grafter

Timing on your laptop?
silverfinch
Grafter

says 20.29, your reply says 11.26 pm
RPMozley
Pro

The forum time can be set by clicking on PROFILE near the top of the page. Then on the left under Modify Profile, select Look and Layout preferences. On that page set the Time Offset to 0 and then it should show times correctly.
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

Well blow me down - I managed that  Shocked thank you once again. Will log off for a while now - going square eyed Wink
RPMozley
Pro

Well your original issue sounds like the wireless dropping out. You really shouldn't be restarting the router as that may result in you getting a slower download speed. Instead you should try changing the 'wireless channel' and see if that makes any difference.
To do this follow the guide in the link below.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
Change 'Wireless Channel Selection' from Automatic to Manual. Then select a channel in the drop down list (1, 6 or 11 are best to start with).
Then it's a waiting game to see if you get the same problem as before.
That's RPM to you!!
silverfinch
Grafter

Oh Dear, hate playing with settings - I always, always do something wrong. Will give it a go tomorrow (after I have written it down) or it will end in  Cry
Thanks for all the help as usual (at least we have fixed my clock) won't tell you happened when I tried to insert my own photo of a badger on my kitchen windowsill, it would make you   Cry
silverfinch
Grafter

Hello Again, Good news, Open Reach have been changing all the telegraph poles in our area, with  no notice I might add apart from knocking on the door 20 minutes before they disconnect all the wires , and since then internet has only cut out once on Sunday. They returned on Monday to finish off the job and it has been fine ever since Smiley So I did  not have to change my settings but may have a go soon just out of curiosity.  Though you may like an update on what had happened after all the help you were giving me. Thank you all once again.