Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet is appauling now

MickHowes1
Grafter

internet is appauling now

My laest speedtest.
Not very good considering my line can handle 8.1 meg dload and 0.44 upload. Maybea  line reset is needed?
64 REPLIES 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: internet is appauling now

This time of night is probably the worst time of day to be running a speed test, particularly on a congested exchange like yours, as everyone running p2p, torrents, and cloud backups, start their overnight downloads at midnight, and those tend to run for a few hours - maxing out the capacity of your exchange and drowning out your speed test performance.
Try doing your speed test again between 04:00 and 5:00,  when I expect you will find it to be much better !

The best way to defeat exchange congestion and obtain the highest speed tests on a crappy line,  is to add "Max Premium" to increase the priority of your connection over others at your exchange, and to add interleaving which will minimise the effect of packet re-transmissions due to line noise errors and will give you the highest throughput.
Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@MickHowes1
Was that result repeated over several tests as well? I can get one off bad results at any time for the sort of reasons purleigh mentioned.
Now, I've changed my mind about what I was going to post in reply, having had a quick look at some of your recent posts and some PMs about your posts, I then decided to read right through the sorry saga of your connection and your posts. Quite frankly this is a bloody nightmare.
With the sort of statistics that your 20CN line seems to be capable of, from the ONLY reference I could find that gave sufficient information (see attached image) taken from your 582n logs, this should just not be happening. You should have a solid connection at 8128 down and 448 up (or 832 up with Max Premium) giving throughput speeds of around 7.9Mb/s down and 0.38Mb/s or 0.72Mb/s up. Note the difference between the "connection" speed and the "throughput" speeds - the latter given by speedtests..
Now there are 3 main problems that I can see.
First, you have started too many threads on essentially the same line problem which makes it far too difficult for ANYONE including Plusnet to follow what is going on. Stick to one thread for essentially the same issue - posting multiple threads, whilst not technically against the Forum Rules is not helpful.
Secondly, several other forum members have attempted to help and maybe things have got too technical on occasions, so I will try and make some suggestions and ask for information in as plain an english as I can, after all,  here you've said -
Quote from: MickHowes1
You're going to technical for a forum reader, I am going by what the local OR engineer has stated to me on multiple occasions.
If you don't understand something please ask. Just ignoring it and rushing off and starting another thread blaming all and sundry won't help.
Granted, there seem to be issues that BT's systems are not responding to setting changes from Plusnet at your request, but that is another issue.
Thirdly, it seems that you think Plusnet is the cause of all your problems. Reading between the lines I get the impression that your OR engineer neighbour seems to be saying that, and a few other things besides, which may not be correct. Plusnet can't make your line faulty or the exchange equipment faulty or inadequate, or create electrical interference that may disrupt your connection, either in the house or somewhere between you and the exchange. The line is maintained by Openreach, and the exchange equipment is BT Wholesale's (BTw's) responsibility. Some of that work is done by OR.
Now, are you going to read on and try and provide some information, or ignore what I have to say and what I ask?
It seems that to get to the root cause of what is happening we need to get right back to some basics.
Can you click on the following link http://192.168.1.254/landing.lp
and then highlight the main content of the page with your mouse and do a copy and paste into a forum post as plain text. There's no need for fancy images - especially uploaded to external sites - where/when needed you can attach images to a post. If you want to know how to do that, ask if you don't know.
Also can you post your Current Line speed (Login required) ?
Again just do a copy and paste leaving out your phone number.
In future, when asked for full DSL stats (which will give error information as well) use this link http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0  note - you'll get the login screen first. Again just highlight with your mouse and do a copy and paste into a post.

Edit: should have said Max Premium not pro add-on, now corrected
Dick:green Link edited as per poster's request.
MickHowes1
Grafter

cant click on your link as this is all that comes up on the first page.
Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
And for the second one, me or any of my family know any details of what to use to sign in on the website.
Anotherone
Champion

Are you not using the Plusnet TG582n modem/router? If not what are you using? The first link http://192.168.1.254/landing.lp should work perfectly for the 582n.
The website login is the same as the first bit of your broadband username (which you shouldn't post in public) - the bit beforre the @plusdsl.net
and the password will also be the same as used on your broadband. The "website" is your Plusnet account. That link takes you directly to the page with your current line speed. You should know both your username and password as you would have had to set these up when you signed up to Plusnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There was a copy/paste error in one of the links (copied the ... from forum shortening into the link). According to the "Speed faults" starred thread it should be:
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
Anotherone
Champion

ejs, you are quite right that last link is wrong, I don't know how that happened, I thought I'd tested it Embarrassed  However the first and second links are fine and it was the results from the first two that I wanted to see as soon as possible. The last one would have been for future reference.
We'll have to get that corrected as you say.
Link now edited and works correctly.
MickHowes1
Grafter

theres the dsl stats :

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 6:00:37
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8.128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 82,30 / 1,70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 13,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4,0 / 8,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 14,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0
also got the password and that found out:)  These are the other things u requersted.
Phone exchange:
DUNRAGIT
Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-05-12 10:21:45
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
As of today, i suffered 3 disconnections whilst playing online games, however these do not show up on the router wtc, i disconnect From XBl,  Skype and cannot load anything on the web for a good 10-40 seconds, which to be honest isnt what im looking for and im sure somebody will have a fix for it at some point.
Needed to edit this as i actually aint positive if it was exactly 3, as i was only online for a few hours and may have been more afterwards.
Anotherone
Champion

Well done, everything is just what was needed and sorry about the broken link the first time.
Those stats are what one should expect on a connection so close to the exchange. There are 0 errors there but the connection has been up for 6hrs and 37 seconds there at the top.
Now that's the interesting bit. Looking at the connection chart that got posted on the other thread, a disconnect at around just after 6pm was a regular event. We have to try and discover why.
Edit: I should have been more precise, One disconnect on the chart was around 6pm the other was just after 7pm. The regular ones were just after 8.00am in the morning.
Anotherone
Champion

Is your Xbox connected to the router wirelessly or using an ethernet cable? Is the computer connected wirelessly or with an ethernet cable?
BBTech

Your SN Margin also looks quite high do you have any telephone extensions in use at all?
Anotherone
Champion

The SN Margin will always be high when you are that close to the exchange and getting max.sync speed. This is a 20CN connection. That is not a problem.
LukeS
Grafter

Quote from: BBTech
Your SN Margin also looks quite high do you have any telephone extensions in use at all?

SNRM is fine as he's connected at the maximum sync rate it just means there is free bandwidth available for error correction. He can probably see the exchange from his window.  Cheesy
MickHowes1
Grafter

yes i can see my exchange from my window xD, hence why i dont understand how im disconnecting so many times when im so close to my exchange haha, its weird as hell, and luke i sent the router stats etc on this post, i dont know if thats what u wanted the login details for but hopefulyl it was, if not comment back what u need and i will do it when i get home from work tommorow/
Anotherone
Champion

He found something odd I think, which is why he wanted to confirm what username you were using for the broadband. Do you know how to send him a PM? (you shouldn't post it in public).
Also can you click on http://192.168.1.254/landing.lp and copy and paste that here similar to what you did for the stats above BUT delete the MAC address at 1.3 and the IP address at 3.3 from the pasted bit.
Are you using wireless to connect your Xbox and Computer or Ethernet cable?