Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent loss of connection

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

intermittent loss of connection

Having a "permanent"  (solid) connection for the past 3 years, I began to feel that I had a "personal" line into the PlusNet servers !  Roll_eyes  despite all the "outage" messages that have been delivered to my mail box !...
For the past 48 hours, I have experienced very short periods of "no broadband check your broadband has been activated" notices appearing on screen... these outages, only last for about a minute or so, and then the router seems to pick up the broadband connection and everything is hunky dory again.... this happened about 4 times last evening, and also the previous evening... (can`t say about during the day, cos I`m not usually on then)...
I suspect it is some local thieves changing the wires over to wet string, but thought I had better drop you a line to let you know it is happening, as no "outage" notice has appeared for my exchange number.... (not that I remember, anyway!).
I have powered down, and re-connected, just to change gateway, and make sure the speed is still up to between 2 and 4 megs... everything seems to be ok this morning... hopefully it will be when I get back in tonight !..
have a nice day. Wink
9 REPLIES 9
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: intermittent loss of connection

Hi shutter,
How's it been since?
Jojo Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Jo,
Seems to have settled down and back to about 4megs speed.... which I am happy with...
Moving house soon, so hope the new place is just as good on speed and connectivity.
(Thanks for putting another shilling in the meter !  Wink )
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you put your new address in the BT Address checker? Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Erm .... No..... didn`t know about that.....BUT on clicking your linky I get
[font=Verdana][font=Verdana][font=Verdana][font=Verdana]
Not Found
[/font][/font][/font][/font]

The requested URL /adsl/ADSLChecker.address was not found on this server.

which may be because I am down at the sea front watching the ships go by, and using my mobile 3G dongle !  Roll_eyes
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput
My line is interleaved as its a long line to begin with and I had similar problems, does your router give you the upstream snr?  If mine drops below 8 it will eventually suffer from a number of resyncs.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Should have checked it first but fixed it now. I tried to link to the page after you click proceed but it seems you can't do that! 😕
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Jojo,
Managed to get the checker to work.... here is the post code check...

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 6.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 12Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 17Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

so things look pretty good !  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just remember that it's not a precise estimate, with not having a phone number to go of. But, yes, early indications are good Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, Jojo... I know it is "up to "  Roll_eyes ... I am on a long line here (3 miles from exchange) at the moment, and used to get 1.2megs with a following wind a couple of years ago...  since the upgrade to ADSL2 I am now getting between 3 and 4 megs..... even had one report of 14 megs.... should have kept a screen shot ! ! !..
so long as I get anything better than 2.5 megs.... I will be quite happy esp if the line is a stable as this one.
Wink