cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent disconnections

Banality

intermittent disconnections

Evening all,
I'm getting intermittent disconnections, usually one or two per day, so nothing too major.  There's something rather odd about it though. The connection drops, I reboot the router and despite it showing a green light for the internet as though it's working fine it still doesn't work. So i reboot a second time and then it works fine.
This happens without fail every time. Two router reboots and then the net's working fine for a few hours.
The connection's interleaved with a direct connection into the master socket and a 2m cable so cabling's not the issue.  Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
artificer
Grafter

Re: intermittent disconnections

i'm getting intermittent disconnections and have found that if i leave it for a couple of minutes, it's ok again.  it appears that sometimes it's a website falling over and at others a gremlin passing through the works.
i used to do what you do, reboot the router, start and stop my connection, reboot the computer.  now all i do is apply a modicum of patience - go and make a cup of tea.  by the time i come back, it's ok.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your not using a Netgear DG834G by any chance are you as I've seen that happen with them?
Quote from: Banality

I'm getting intermittent disconnections, usually one or two per day, so nothing too major.  There's something rather odd about it though. The connection drops, I reboot the router and despite it showing a green light for the internet as though it's working fine it still doesn't work. So i reboot a second time and then it works fine.
Banality

I am actually using a Netgear DG834G Smiley
Toolbox
Grafter

I am getting disconnects but still doing tests at my end.
I intend to try two other routers DG834G and a BT2700.
I am using a DG834GT with DGteam Firmware but will try Netgear firmware as well.
Strange thing is it is stable for hours then all of a sudden it seems to go vary unstable and at any time of the day and I can't see any pattern.
One thing I would recommend to others it do not log any rules in DG834 routers as I have found that used up memory and router fell over, that may explain why a reboot fixes it.