cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent connection problems

LAP

intermittent connection problems

Hi,
I have a USB BT voyager 2100 and the option 1 package. Recently my laptop was damaged so I got a loan machine for a while and finally another laptop was given to me. With that third one It's become impossible to connect to the web. However I manage to use the service as I have an external internet adapter to make some phone calls every day with success (broadband phone plugged to modem or router). I use too some peer to peer software that connects fine for short periods of time from the laptop. When it disconnects I just need to switch the router off  and back on.
So I wonder if there is a limit in machines you could connect from over the plusnet package. I tried reinstalling the drivers for that router (or modem?) on the laptop as well, resetting the router and different USB cables. To no effect. First I thought it could be faulty USB socket on the laptop but I can read some USB sticks without any problem. I have downloaded a second browser but still get the same. The laptop has got a company firewall on so had the two previous ones but it would block everything if it was it, web stream and peer to peer, but it's not the case. I changed the microfilter to no effect. I don't know what else to try apart from requesting a brand new router (or modem) now. Do you think of anything else in particular? Could you help me on this one please? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: intermittent connection problems

reading between the lines, are you trying to connect from two different places using the same log on?  that might be the problem.
I have had 4 machines all connected on my router at one time, an older 2110 and a new Thompson no problem
paulby
Grafter

You can only connect one modem or router to the phone line at any time.  It's the way ADSL works and not a restriction set by Plusnet.
To use multiple PCs you need either a wired or wireless router.

If you're already using a router and not trying to connect a modem at the same time then there's likely to be a problem with the way things are set up.
LAP

Hi guys thank you for that...to clarify: I always have used one laptop at a time with the usb 2100 in my living room so 1 place. (no multiple PCs, I gave back the damaged one as it broke, gave back the loan one as it was a temporary measure)...so one of my questions was to find out if there was something like in Itunes software where you have only 5 machines in total to be authorized to play some purchase mp3 ...
James
Grafter

Nope.  There's nothing like that on ADSL Hardware.
paulby
Grafter

PlusNet don't limit the amount of different PCs you can connect but you can only connect one device at a time to your phone line.
Device in this context means a modem or a router (you could have 253 PCs attached to your router with suitable networking equipment but you'd still only have one device - the router - connected to the phone line!).
It sounds like you've got a configuration problem with either the PC or the router.  
How are you connecting?  Are you using a USB modem or an ethernet connection.  (It's better to use ethernet if you can.) Also, if any of the machines are running Vista, it's unlikely the USB modem will work as very few have the drivers available.
Also - again only applies to USB - have you installed the appropriate drivers for the modem on all the machines you're trying to connect?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

still not 100% clear what your problem is, in the second paragraph, you say tried another browser - why.  Then you seem to say you can connect for some things  "It cant be the firewall as that would restrict everything"
Can you explain a bit more exactly what your problem is.  i.e. are you connecting to the internet for some things.?
LAP

sorry if it's not clear enough but I'll try to put some more details in the post. I use windows XP and the drivers from the CD in which came the BT voyager 210 (USB). to answer Pierre_pierre I tried safari browser because my default one (explorer) is using my company proxy and thought it was better to be independent of that for my own stuff. Hence 2 browsers on my laptop. Anyway I agree with you it's not the firewall.
The problem has slightly changed to NO internet connection at all now. Therefore I can't use any service on the broadband package (neither web, nor internet adapter for phone, no peer to peer either). And I can see that the INTERNET light on the BT voyager 210 is not lit. Others like PWR, DSL, ETHERNET are all lit green solid. I checked my cabling, changed the microfilter and the phone line (I have a BT phone working fine on this line). Is it evidence that my BT Voyager is faulty? is it possible to get Plusnet to replace it soon then?
paulby
Grafter

If you can, you'll need to check that your username and password are correctly set up in the router.  The username should be of the form username@plusdsl.net - where username is the same as your member centre username (you must add the @plusdsl.net bit though) and your password is the same as your menber centre password.
(The fact the DSL light is lit means that you are syncing with the exchange.  No internet light normally means that you haven't logged in to the ISP.)
You can follow the instructions on this page.
If you can, it's generally better to connect using ethernet rather than USB. 
LAP

Thanks for that Paul03.
I am not even at the stage where I pop in password and username as my browser displays 'the page cannot be displayed' in Explorer or 'cannot find that server' in Safari when I click on http://voyager.home/ or http://192.168.1.1/ ; with the USB cable. I'll try it with the ethernet cable tonight to see whether it changes (the USB light on the Voyager is flashing green when I use the usb method to connect my computer). I also reset the BT Voyager but it had no effect.
1.Could it be that it is processing the signal correctly with the USB path?
2.Can Plusnet replace faulty hardware if it turns out to be faulty in the end? LAP
paulby
Grafter

I'd definitely try things with ethernet as it tends to be a lot simpler (and it'll also rule out any driver issues as it doesn't need the driver software to work).
Before you connect with ethernet though, go to Control Panel>Internet Options and click on the Connections tab and select Never Dial a Connection to make sure that you don't have Windows trying to initiate dial-up connections when you're connected via ethernet.  (USB often uses a dial-up type connection and you'll need to disable Windows from "auto-dialling".)
LAP

That's it fixed! I did connect the ethernet cable instead and got an ip address this way. Then I clicked on http:\\192.168.1.1 and then it asked for username and password (that had given me no portal at all with the USB connection, ipconfig gave me media disconnected). Thank you very much for your help. LAP
paulby
Grafter

Glad it's sorted!
Just remember to make sure that "never dial a connection" is set in Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections and you should be fine!