Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent connection faults

sinai
Dabbler

intermittent connection faults

Hi,
I have a problem with intermittent connection faults it looks like my line is not stable.It started a week ago when suddenly my speed droped from 6000kbps to 480kbps.Problem is when my phone is connected I can hear a white noise but only when the router is on, so I thought that the router is faulty and I bought a new router netgear DG834 v.4 (previous was bt voyager 240)and also a new microfilter.I can still hear the white noise even with the new router and microfilter.I am using a master socket with wires only 2 and 5 connected(extension socket also only 2 and 5 wires on).I also tried a different phone but with the same result.My current speed is something around 130kbps Sad .I raised a ticket with plusnet and after a few question I answered to them they turn interleaving on.Here are my actual stats from the router with microfilter without the phone.Could anyone help me please?

System Up Time 00:56:27
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1873 2443 0 167 651 00:54:48
LAN 10M/100M 3339 2680 0 762 208 00:56:23
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db 9 db
Noise Margin       16 db 15 db
With the phone connected
System Up Time 01:03:19
WAN PPPoA 3 3 0 1 1 00:00:42
LAN 10M/100M 4359 3429 0 804 211 01:03:15
Connection Speed 704 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
Noise Margin 15 db 13 db

with the phone connected and listening a quiet line test

System Up Time 01:08:29
WAN PPPoA 42 42 0 28 16 00:05:52
LAN 10M/100M 4819 3806 0 792 209 01:08:25
Connection Speed 3296 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 20 db
17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: intermittent connection faults

Have you tried with the router connected to the test socket behind the Master socket faceplate ? That will eliminate all your internal wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sinai
Dabbler

Here it is with the router connected to the test socket
System Up Time 00:01:37
WAN PPPoA 8 8 0 13 33 00:00:28
LAN 10M/100M 379 356 0 1575 552 00:01:33
Connection Speed 416 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 9 db
Noise Margin       20 db      12 db
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm gives some useful info on diagnosing connection problems.
From the information you have given so far, which seems to indicate that the speed improves when the phone is used, this below MIGHT be your problem, although I would wait and see what other opnions are forthcoming.
*  If so - Possibly a fault on the actual phone line perhaps due to worn cables or water on the line.
      There may be times when a cable or joint is only slightly damaged/corroded and shows no immediate problem, however the damage is sufficient to increase resistance on the line.
      When the phone line is in use, it generates a small electrical current which is needed to carry the voice signal. This current helps reduce resistance on the line and can be sufficient to "bridge the gap" just enough to carry the adsl signal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sinai
Dabbler

Thanks for info MisterW. If it is because the cables are worn or water on the line Shocked than I probably need a bt engineer but I dont want to call him at least I am sure that the fault is not on my side.Phone is working just fine without any noise when the router is off.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Phone is working just fine without any noise when the router is off.

That's going to make it more difficult getting it fixed. If the phone line is noisy then reporting it as a voice fault makes it quicker to get it fixed.
reporting as a broadband fault usually ends up with it being bounced between PN , BTw and Openreach!!

sinai
Dabbler

so I contacted a BT and they tested the line and told me everything is ok also told me I should contact my ISP due to this problem or if I want they can send an engineer but if he dont find any fault so I would be charged 200 pounds Sad .
sinai
Dabbler

one more think I can see a short disconnections(amber led on the router start flashing for a few seconds) mostly when I am on the phone.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As long as you make sure that the fault still exists when connected to the test socket ( thus eliminating your wiring ) , and that you have tried another router and filter then the fault is very unlikely to be in your equipment ( unless you have 2 faulty router or filters ) . Make sure you have done those tests and then report the fault back to Plusnet, and tell them you have already done these tests ( put the router stats on the ticket for the various tests ).
Their original response of turning on interleaving was pointless in this instance.

sinai
Dabbler

I reported a fault with the plusnet and they are testing my  line.  "Your fault has been raised to our supplier. Please note that they can take between 48-72 hours to provide a response." I hope this will solve my problem :).
sinai
Dabbler

update I am waiting for bt engineer to come and I found a very strange thing.When I connect router and the phone to the test socket  and I phone a quiet line test I hear lots of crackling and my noise margin drop from 15db to 3db please see graph below.If I dont use a phone my line is in 3-4 db fluctuation.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Clearly indicative of a bad joint, as you already know! If this BT eng visit doesn't resolve this, then you need to ring your Line Rental supplier WHEN the line is crackling. Get them to confirm they can hear it and log it, and log it as intermittent and request that information is passed to the Openreach Engineer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: sinai
update I am waiting for bt engineer to come and I found a very strange thing.When I connect router and the phone to the test socket  and I phone a quiet line test I hear lots of crackling and my noise margin drop from 15db to 3db please see graph below.If I dont use a phone my line is in 3-4 db fluctuation.

Have you tried a different filter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sinai
Dabbler

I tried three different filters all with same result.I will see tomorrow if BT eng. can fix my problem.
sinai
Dabbler

After a visit from Bt engineer I thought he fixed the problem with my line (no white noise and stable noise margin) but after 3 hours it start to fluctuate really badly see my routerstat graph. Angry I can hear a white noise again when my router is on and anytime I call some number my noise margin drops.